Ban lifted on drink driver who has turned his life around
A drink driver who has gone teetotal and turned his life around bounded out of court a happy man after having a ban lifted.
Stuart Francis Gomes persuaded magistrates to end the disqualification after completing 26 months of a three-year ban imposed in September 2017 for a second driving with excess alcohol conviction. The law provides for disqualified drivers to return to court after two years of a three-year ban and apply to have it lifted.
Boston Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday that 38-year-old Gomes was almost twice the limit when he was stopped for having no insurance on August 27, 2017. He had previously been convicted for driving with excess alcohol in 2013 and so was the subject of a mandatory three-year ban for a second such offence.
Gomes, of Wells Place, Wyberton, told the court that he took full responsibility for his previous actions but having his driving licence back now would make a vast difference to his personal life and career.
The bench heard that he last had a drink on December 29 last year and with the help of Addaction earlier this year he is now teetotal. He is a support worker for Framework Housing Association and he argued that having his driving licence back would enable him to work weekends too “helping those who have fallen on hard times”.
“I’m able to empathise with these people because without the support network I had I wouldn’t have managed to do what I have,” Gomes added. “I’ve served two years and have managed to make incredibly positive changes.”
Magistrates said they were “very impressed” with Gomes’ actions and agreed to remove the disqualification immediately.
More by this authorSpalding Court Reporter