Doctor Calling with Dr Kevin Hill

Dr Kevin Hill
Dr Kevin Hill
Have your say

We all look forward to holidays. Planning our trips, buying a summer wardrobe, checking travel documents, but with so many things to remember some of the most essential items can get left behind.

This is why South Lincolnshire CCG is reminding people to visit their local pharmacy as part of their plans and preparation for their break.

Travellers’ diarrhoea is the most common health problem to affect travellers abroad, with between 20-60 per cent of travellers affected. Imagine you’re on holiday and you’re suddenly struck down with vomiting and diarrhoea, but you’ve forgotten to pack the diarrhoea tablets, oops, or you’ve discovered that the repeat prescription you thought you’d arranged is actually sitting on the sideboard. Well, a quick visit to your local pharmacy before your holiday can help take those worries away.

Make sure you have on your list:

- Repeat prescriptions – Check?

- Basic first aid kit, including diarrhoea tablets – Check?

We encourage patients to talk to their local pharmacist if they are on medication for

any long term condition – such as asthma, diabetes or a heart condition – to make sure that the have sufficient medication while they are away.

It is also useful to put together a basic first aid kit which your pharmacist can help with. This can help to treat any minor illnesses or injuries whilst you’re away.

Adding these items to your holiday ‘to do’ list will help to avoid unnecessary worries whilst you’re away from home.

A basic first aid kit will help with minor ailments, such as stomach upsets, allergies, headaches, sunburn, insect bites, aches and sprains and strains. A really useful interactive First Aid Kit guide can be found at This can help to ensure that you have everything you need, or you can talk to your pharmacy for advice.

Be sure to check the rules about the types of medicines you are allowed to take into

the country and the maximum quantity you can take. Different countries have different regulations and some medicines available over the counter in the UK may be controlled in other countries, and vice versa.

If you’re travelling in Europe be sure to have and carry with you a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is available free at It will enable you to access state-provided healthcare in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland, at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will also cover treatment until you return to the UK. More info is available at as well as guidance on applying for a card.