Deiter (11) is well on the road to recovery

Deiter Glenn and mum Rosie celebrate the end of his treatment.
Deiter Glenn and mum Rosie celebrate the end of his treatment.
Have your say

A MUM has paid tribute to her “inspirational” son at the end of more than three years of daily cancer treatment.

Deiter Glenn was only seven when he was diagnosed with leukaemia and since then the family have been on a rollercoaster ride as the brave youngster battled the disease.

But mum Rosie, of Saxon Close, Spalding, is now hoping they can all start a new chapter after Deiter finally had his last dose of daily oral chemotherapy and an operation to remove the tube which hospital staff used to administer other medicines.

She said: “The last few years have been a terrible strain on all of us.

“As well as the daily chemo, he has had to have intravenous chemo every four weeks and a lumbar puncture and chemo into his spine every 12 weeks.

“In the past three years he has also had four blood transfusions, a platelet transfusion and has been back to hospital numerous times.

“But Deiter has never complained and asked ‘why me?’, even though it has been hard on him when he hasn’t been able to do some things

“He has always been brave and is truly an inspiration to us all.”

Now 11, Deiter has managed to remain at Spalding Parish Day School throughout his illness and is looking forward to moving to the Sir John Gleed School in September.

But before then, the family are planning a fortnight’s holiday in Greece this summer – the first foreign holiday they have been able to take since Deiter fell ill.

Rosie said: “We have always had to stay in this country so we could be near a children’s cancer hospital.

“Not having to worry about things like that has given us a sense of freedom that we haven’t had in a long time.”

Finishing his treatment also means other little freedoms.

Deiter, who Rosie describes as a popular boy with lots of friends, was having his oral chemo every evening and wasn’t able to eat or drink an hour before or after.

She said: “We always had to carefully plan teatimes to fit in the medication and it also meant he couldn’t always enjoy sleep-overs with his friends, but now we are getting used to a new routine without having to worry about things like that.

“We are all looking forward to getting a normal life back that doesn’t involve regular trips to hospital.”

Deiter is now in remission and will only need to return to hospital every six weeks for check-ups.

Rosie added: “He will have to have these check-ups into his 20s, but fingers crossed everything will be fine now.”