Refurbishment and repainting for Crowland's last red telephone box before resiting and repurposing in town
Crowland’s last surviving red telephone box has gone in for repairs ahead of being repurposed and resited in the town.
The 80-year-old phone box has been sent to Spalding firm W and W.H. Pettit for blast cleaning and repainting, paid for by Crowland district councillor Jim Astill out of his designated ward budget.
The phone box was moved from its original site in West Street, Crowland, last summer after it was adopted by the parish council for £1.
Originally designed to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George V in 1935, a group of volunteers formed the Crowland Red Telephone Box Association (CRTBA) just over 80 years later to raise funds for its refurbishment,
CRTBA chairman Daniel Abbott said: "We are delighted to have reached the next stage in the telephone box’s journey as we believe it should be preserved as part of the town’s history, having been here for more than 80 years.
“W & WH Pettit are experts in telephone kiosk refurbishment, so we are excited to see it return to the town in a few weeks following its refurbishment."
The phone box was adopted by Crowland Parish Council after BT launched a programme of removing telephone kiosks in 2008.
At one point, there were 92,000 payphone boxes across the UK and so far, more than 5,500 of them have been turned into art galleries, notice and information boards, book exchanges and defibrillator points.
The CRTBA wants to hear from communities across South Holland, the Deepings, Bourne and villages south of Boston, including Kirton, Sutterton, Swineshead and Wyberton, where phone boxes have been adopted.
For more information, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org