UPDATE: Police appeal over Holbeach St Marks arson

The wreckage of the caravans in Holbeach St Marks after the New Year's Day arson attack
The wreckage of the caravans in Holbeach St Marks after the New Year's Day arson attack
Have your say

POLICE are investigating an arson attack after a blaze ripped through caravans in Holbeach St Marks.

The alarm was raised at about 7.45pm on New Year’s Day when neighbours to the site behind the New Inn public house spotted the blaze.

The fire has completely destroyed seven caravans, which belong to visiting wildfowlers, and a part-built glass fibre sports cars belonging to pub landlord Paul Kingswood’s son-in-law Darren.

One of the caravans belonged to the pub and was used for storage.

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue confirmed the cause was believed to be deliberate.

South Holland district councillor Nick Worth said it was first spotted by his wife Helen, who at first thought it was a bonfire. “When I went outside I could see it wasn’t a bonfire,” he said. “It was amazing. Within ten minutes of the first one catching fire the whole lot had gone up. I’ve never seen anything go so quickly.”

No one had been in the caravans at the time.

Coun Worth said the site was full of “massive” flames and several gas cannisters exploded during the fire.

Three fire crews – from Holbeach, Long Sutton and Spalding – were called out to the fierce blaze.

Coun Worth said: “The speed it happened, it could have had serious consequences. There was not a lot of time to react.”

He added: “I hope they catch those doing it. People living in Holbeach St Marks are understandably concerned.”

Mr Kingswood said there were only a couple of people in the pub at the time. He said the caravan owners had been notified and the police and insurance companies were expected to make a visit this week.

The incident happened less than three weeks after a pensioner’s shed was purposely set on fire in Browne-Wilkinson Walk.

DC Paul Smith, from Spalding Police Station, said: “Our inquiries are on going, we are following up on a number of leads and would still like to speak to any members of the public who were in the area at the time who witnessed anything suspicious.”