Teenager appears in court on Warren Free murder charge

Warren Free.
Warren Free.
Have your say

UPDATE TUESDAY 4.45PM: A 16-year-old boy has been remanded into local authority care after appearing in court today on a charge of murdering Warren Free of Spalding.

The boy, who can’t be named for legal reasons, is the sixth teenager to be charged with the murder of Mr Free (42) who died following an attack at his home on August 28.

In a case heard at Lincoln Crown Court this afternoon, the boy was also accused of perverting the course of justice by disposing of an iron bar alleged to have been used during the attack on Mr Free.

Judge Michael Heath ordered that the boy should be banned from going into South Holland, unless under local authority supervision, and imposed a nine-hour curfew on him between 9pm and 6am.

The boy is due to appear again at Lincoln Crown Court in February, along with five other teenagers who were previously charged with Mr Free’s murder.

They include two 15-year-old girls, along with three boys aged 14,15 and 17.

Detectives launched a murder inquiry afer Mr Free was attacked at in Coronation Close, Spalding, four months ago.

He was airlifted to Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, with a serious head injury which is alleged to have been caused by being kicked and struck with an iron bar, but Mr Free died in the early hours of August 29.

TUESDAY 10.45AM: Detectives have this morning charged a sixth youth in connection with the death of 42-year-old Warren Free after an attack at his Spalding home four months ago.

The boy is due to appear before Lincoln magistrates this morning and then at appear at Lincoln Crown Court later today.

So far, two 15-year-old girls and four boys aged between 14 and 17 have been charged with murder after Mr Free’s death in hospital on August 29.

Five youths, three of whom appeared in court last month and the other two who were in court two weeks ago, are currently in the care of the local authority until they appear again at Lincoln Crown Court in February.

A seventh youth, another boy, arrested in connection with the case is to have no further police action taken against him.