Prolific burglar jailed ‘in absence’ while naked inside police car

Shane Boyton.
Shane Boyton.
Have your say

A Holbeach burglar who went on the run during his trial has been jailed for more than four years after being branded “a thoroughly dishonest man”.

But Shane Boyton (37), of College Close, Holbeach, refused to come into court for his sentencing hearing this morning, instead choosing to sit naked inside a police car outside Lincoln Crown Court while his prison term was being handed down.

Lincoln Crown Court.

Lincoln Crown Court.

Boyton was jailed for four years for burglary and given a four-month consecutive sentence for breaching his bail by going missing from court.

Boyton went on trial last month accused of two charges of burglary following raids on commercial premises in Lincolnshire and Essex.

However, he denied the charges and went missing after the jury retired to consider their verdicts.

Boyton was then bailed to attend a hospital where he was due to receive the results of earlier tests but failed to return.

Boyton refused to get out of the vehicle that brought him to court and I am told he is naked in the police car and has refused to get out

Judge Michael Heath at Lincoln Crown Court

He was convicted in his absence and was subsequently arrested in south Lincolnshire.

Judge Michael Heath, who continued the hearing in the absence of Boyton, said: “He refused to get out of the vehicle that brought him to court.

“I am told he is naked in the police car and has refused to get out.”

During his trial, Boyton told the jury that he had been “going straight” since becoming a father and denied he had anything to do with either burglary.

But the Judge said: “That was a lie and part of a concerted effort to hoodwink the jury.

“Boyton is a thoroughly dishonest man.”

The earlier jury was told that Boyton was involved in a raid on an industrial unit in Dagenham when a caravan was stolen, with a second burglary having taken place at a packing firm in Burgh-le-Marsh where £10,000 worth of confectionery was taken, along with a pressure washer.

Both of the burglaries took place between June 11 and 15 last year, with the court also having beem told that Boyton had six previous convictions for non-domestic burglaries.

James Gray, defending, said he attempted to speak to Boyton while the defendant was in the vehicle which brought him to court.

But his client refused to get out and asked to be sentenced in his absence, leaving Mr Gray to tell the court: “He would not speak to me”.