Police officer left clinging to Holbeach driver’s bonnet

Have your say

A MOTORIST drove straight at a police officer leaving her clinging to the bonnet of his car, Lincoln Crown Court was told on Monday.

Martin Moon accelerated at PC Laura Griggs as she stood in front of the vehicle in a bid to prevent him driving off from Spring Gardens in Long Sutton.

Katrina Wilson, prosecuting, said Moon attracted suspicion after officers checked out the Vauxhall Astra he was driving and discovered it was insured only for a female driver.

Moon was later seen after parking up in Spring Gardens and claimed he was driving the vehicle from a garage to his partner’s home.

He was told the car could be seized and then panicked.

Moon started the engine and then, as PC Griggs and a colleague stood in front of him, he suddenly accelerated forward.

Miss Wilson said: “PC Griggs fell onto the bonnet of the car and Moon continued to drive forward.

“He reversed across a pavement onto a grassed area with the officer clinging onto the bonnet and holding onto the windscreen wipers.

“The defendant suddenly changed direction, the force of which caused the wipers to break and the officer fell to the floor.”

Miss Wilson said Moon drove away and PC Griggs, who suffered grazing to her knee and a cut finger, set off in pursuit with her colleague.

Moon reached the A17 and then drove along the B1390. He headed for Tydd St Mary and at one point reached 90mph with smoke coming from the tyres of his car.

After a half-hour pursuit Moon eventually pulled up outside his partner’s home and threw the keys away.

As he was being arrested he said: “At least I’ve got a bed for the night.”

Moon (33), of Willders Garth, Holbeach, admitted charges of dangerous driving, assaulting a police officer in the execution of her duty, failing to stop, having no insurance and possession of cannabis as a result of the incident on January 6. He was given an eight-month jail sentence suspended for two years and banned from driving for two years.

Recorder Richard Wilson QC told him: “This was dangerous driving over a significant period of time but as an act of mercy I am going to suspend the sentence.

“This is a chance for you and I hope you will take it.”

Roger Harrison, defending, said Moon had been out of trouble for five years.

He said Moon was separated from his partner at the time of the incident and was suffering from depression and anxiety.

Mr Harrison said: “He was shocked at the fact that his car was going to be seized. He panicked. His aim was to get the car back to his partner because she needed it.”