Council bosses in South Holland are awaiting progress on an idea aired by Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick to see if they back a switch to a county-wide CCTV system.
Some parish councils have opted out of paying for South Holland’s CCTV scheme saying they haven’t even been told officially if the cameras on their patch are still working.
South Holland District Council deputy leader Nick Worth last year unveiled plans for a new system in the district which would have seen the cameras monitored round-the-clock instead of being viewed live only at certain times by volunteers.
Sutton Bridge parish and district councillor Michael Booth asked for an update at Wednesday’s district council meeting.
Coun Worth said Mr Hardwick is keen to see county-wide CCTV with local authorities, police and businesses pooling their resources and the council is waiting to see what happens to his draft plan.
He said South Holland will keep its current CCTV system until the end of this financial year.
Although the cameras are not monitored round the clock, they record all of the time and police can review footage for particular incidents and find evidence.