Gosberton van driver who fled after drink-driving arrest gets jail term

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.
Have your say

A van driver from Gosberton who escaped from a police car and ran off in handcuffs after being arrested on suspicion of drink-driving has been jailed for four months.

Guy Mantle (22), of Whitehall, Gosberton, was approached by a police officer who saw him manoeuvre a van out of a parking space in Market Place, Donington, on October 17, 2015.

He is a hard working young man who is aware of how serious these maters are (but) immediate custody would destroy his life at the moment

Chris Milligan, mitigating for Guy Mantle

In a hearing at Lincoln Crown Court on Friday, Mantle admitted offences of escaping from lawful custody, criminal damage to a pair of handcuffs and driving without insurance as a result of the incident on the evening of October 17, 2015

Mark Knowles, prosecuting, said the police officer opened the driver’s door, smelled drink and also noticed that Mantle’s eyes were glazed.

Mr Knowles said: “Mr Mantle initially said he had not been drinking but moments later admitted ‘I’ve had a couple’.

“A roadside screening test produced a positive reading and Mr Mantle was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.

“The officer handcuffed the defendant and placed him in the rear of the vehicle while he started to make checks on the van.

“But the defendant then started trying to get out of the police vehicle.”

Mr Knowles added that the officer tried to grab hold of Mantle but the defendant got away and ran off.

However, Mantle was arrested two hours later after he was found at an address in Horncastle Road, Boston.

He was taken to hospital for treatment to an injury but, while there, Mantle gave a blood sample which gave an alcohol reading below the legal limit for driving.

Chris Milligan, for Mantle, said: “Mr Mantle was about to take his driving test at the time and panicked, but it was the most foolish thing he could have done.

“He was trying to help his friend who had had more to drink than him and he stupidly offered to drive the last part of the journey.

“Mr Mantle did pass his driving test and he now has a full licence.

“He is a hard working young man who is aware of how serious these maters are, (but) immediate custody would destroy his life at the moment.”

As well as being jailed for four months, Mantle was also disqualified from driving for 14 months and ordered to pay £16.95 compensation for damaging the handcuffs.

Judge Michael Heath, passing sentence, told Mantle: “Anyone who has been lawfully arrested and escapes from the custody of the police loses their liberty.

“I cannot draw back from immediate custody.”