Holbeach Parish Council is to consider opting back in to South Holland’s CCTV service after plans were revealed for it to be improved.
At a meeting on Monday, South Holland District Council deputy leader Nick Worth said the council was in talks to join Boston Borough Council’s system which would give Holbeach and the rest of the district 24-hour coverage, 365 days a year.
Parish councillors had voted to axe its £5,500 contribution to CCTV in South Holland for 2013-14 in £11,000 worth of budget cuts earlier this year.
But a debate on rejoining the district’s CCTV scheme will take place at their next meeting on November 11 after Coun Worth revealed that the amount of contribution expected from parish councils would be almost unchanged.
He said: “At the moment, we have 28 cameras across the district that are monitored by volunteers as and when they can.
“But some parish councils said they wouldn’t pay into the old system because police have to trawl through footage whenever there’s an incident.
“Boston has a brand new CCTV control room already equipped with high definition monitors and professional staff who have been trained to monitor the town 24/7.
“The district council looked at a report about countywide CCTV but it was far too expensive which is why we then decided to look at joining Boston’s CCTV system which is set up to take additional cameras.”
District councillors are to consider the joint scheme in December but they are keen to find out now how many parish councils and businesses are prepared to be part of it.
Most of the capital costs are being funded by income from council tax paid on second homes given to Lincolnshire County Council, as well as Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Hardwick.