Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Convicted attempted murderer jailed for 'random' stabbing in Spalding town centre

More news, no ads


A convicted attempted murderer who stabbed a man during a random daytime attack in Spalding town centre was today given an extended sentence of seven years and eight months.

Jonathan Taylor received a one cms stab wound to the centre of his chest after he was stabbed with an eight inch kitchen knife wielded by Aurel Irimia (46)

Lincoln Crown Court heard the unprovoked attack occurred in broad daylight shortly after 3pm on 7 February outside a charity shop in Station Street, Spalding.

Aurel Irimia has been sentenced (56545845)
Aurel Irimia has been sentenced (56545845)

Mr Taylor was taken to hospital in Peterborough but fortunately the single blow hit his sternum meaning his internal organs were not injured. He was discharged three hours later after being treated with stitches.

However, passing sentence Judge John Pini QC told Irimia: "It was pure luck that Mr Taylor was not killed.

"You aimed for a highly vulnerable part of the body with a lethal weapon."

The court heard that in 2011 Irimia was jailed for six years in his native Romania for an offence of attempted murder after striking a relative with a stick, and had been in the UK for two years looking for work.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, said Irimia was detained by members of the public and remained at the scene until police arrived.

The scene of the stabbing in Station Street, Spalding.
The scene of the stabbing in Station Street, Spalding.

The kitchen knife was found on the floor outside the charity shop and a small bottle of vodka was found on Irimia.

Irimia made no comment during police interview but in a prepared statement claimed Mr Taylor had stolen from him in the past.

However police investigations showed the two men had never met.

Mr Howes added: "This was a random and motiveless attack.

"Mr Taylor was shocked and in disbelief at what happened."

Irimia, a former factory worker in Spalding who lived in Cortez Close, admitted wounding Mr Taylor with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm and possessing a bladed article.

Neil Sands, mitigating, said it was a single blow from Irimia which did not use maximum force.

Mr Sands added that Irimia's attempted murder conviction did not involve a knife.

Irimia was jailed for four years and eight months with an extended licence period of three years licence on his release after Judge Pini ruled he was satisfied that he was a danger to the public.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More