Hopes of repairs to a footpath in Spalding where a 64-year-old man fell down an embankment have suffered a setback.
Reports of concerns held by people living near Cowbit Road after a man fell down a steep bank and laid there undiscovered overnight in March were published in our sister newspaper, the Lincolnshire Free Press, on Tuesday.
This footpath has been in a state of disrepair for three years and so work should be completed as soon as possibleSpalding South county councillor Alan Jesson
But county highways officers have now said that any repairs will be “more complicated than first thought and twice as expensive”.
Brian Fowler (67) of Fen End Lane and a neighbour of the injured man, said: “It’s been going on now for three years and I’ve written various letters to the council which have just been fobbed off.
“This is our only route into Spalding and there’s no footpath on the other side of the road, so enough is enough as it’s not going to mend itself.”
Spalding South county councillor Alan Jesson said: “This footpath has been in a state of disrepair for three years, according to residents, so the Environment Agency and council together need to sort this matter out once and for all.
“The site is not just the only footpath into Spalding for some residents but also a flood barrier that affects us all.
“Work should be completed as soon as possible and I will be pursuing this until it’s done.”
Satish Shah, the council’s head of highways south, said: “Repairs to the footpath were set for last month but unfortunately, it’s a more complicated job than first thought and will be twice as expensive.
“We are looking at how we can make this more affordable and liaising with the Environment Agency as the landowner with regards to the structural stability of the embankment.
“If we can’t find a solution in the near future, we will be exploring alternatives to help keep people safe.
“In the meantime, we’ve been speaking with Coun Jesson and residents and will keep them informed.”