Decision in the new year about Holbeach market’s future

Holbeach market stall holders like Nina Kruszelnicki and Sophie Arnold will find out next year whether they will be staying in Boston Road South car park.  Photo by Tim Wilson.
Holbeach market stall holders like Nina Kruszelnicki and Sophie Arnold will find out next year whether they will be staying in Boston Road South car park. Photo by Tim Wilson.
  • Report now in progress about use of Boston Road South car park
0
Have your say

A decision on whether market days in Holbeach will move permanently away from the town centre is not expected until next year.

At least 350 people gave their views on the future of the town’s Thursday and Saturday markets during a public consultation which also included the permanent closure of one of two entrances to Boston Road South car park.

We’re going to be working more closely so that if there’s a chance of getting anything extra things into Holbeach, we can do so

Coun Isobel Hutchinson, chairman, Holbeach Parish Council

The results were handed into the district council last week when informal talks took place between its head of environmental services, Emily Spicer, and Holbeach Parish Council chairman Coun Isobel Hutchinson.

She said: “It was quite a productive meeting between the two of us and we’re moving in a direction where we can at least work along with the district council successfully which is the most important thing.”

About 100 people responded to the district council’s own invitation for comments on the future use of the car park for market stalls and closing the car park’s entrance in Boston Road South.

The consultation was launched after a sometimes stormy public meeting in August, jointly organised by Coun Hutchinson and Holbeach district councillor Tracey Carter.

During the meeting, Steve Cole of Holbeach said: “It’s apparent that very few people were involved in the decision (to move the market stalls) and people need to understand that when they are making such decisions, it’s Holbeach residents who matter.”

Coun Hutchinson said: “The surveys have given us a much clearer picture of what people are really thinking and, whatever the decision, we’re going to be working more closely so that if there’s a chance of getting anything extra things into Holbeach, we can do so and not move in different directions.“

A district council spokesman said: “Following on from the consultation conducted by South Holland District Council in September to gain feedback on the market relocation and barrier closure at Boston Road South car park, a report will now be completed.

“We have gained some extremely valuable information and would like to thank all traders, residents and customers who spent time giving their views on this matter.”