An eight-year-old “little star” from Gosberton has been awarded for the bravery he showed when his father cut off two fingers in a sawing accident.
Phil Packard had been using a circular saw to chop wood last Saturday when the guard jammed and the blade caught his hand.
After the initial shock, Phil asked his son, Harry, to get his phone and call the emergency services. Phil, who was taken to the Royal Derby Hospital by air ambulance , said: “We both panicked initially. After running around the garden, Harry made the call and left a message on his mum’s work phone that there had been an accident.
“He was so calm and brave – he was a little star.”
His mum, Helen, said: “I’m really proud of him. Harry was so matter of fact and took it all in his stride.
“He left a message for me to ring him because there had been an accident – I would have been useless, I’d have just been on the floor in a panic.”
As well as the air ambulance being called to the scene of the accident in Mill Lane, local LIVES First Responders twins Nicola and Helen O’Connor were on duty just around the corner and were asked to go and assist.
Nicola said: “We were so impressed with Harry’s bravery. He remained so calm. His main concern was finding out the postcode of the hospital where his father was being taken to for the sat nav so his mum could follow in the car. He was a little star.”
Nicola and Helen were so impressed they went along to his primary school In Quadring on Friday to present Harry with a certificate of bravery and a LIVES First Responder teddy bear. Nicola said: “Harry’s our little First Responder now.”
The presentation was made at a special assembly, attended by Harry’s mum and dad as well as Nicola and Helen.
Headteacher Nicki Wilkinson said the Heart Start programme taught at school had helped prepare Harry for the emergency: “He remembered everything he had been taught about calling 999 and remained calm, which is the most important thing. Now we know why we can rely on him.”
Harry said: “I’m very proud to get the award and surprised. I had been told at school what to do and that helped.”