Brave Kieran’s final journey

Kieron Stubbs who amazed his family and doctors by surviving a brain tumour for 17 years. ANL-150213-134829001
Kieron Stubbs who amazed his family and doctors by surviving a brain tumour for 17 years. ANL-150213-134829001
Have your say

A grieving mother believes her brave son, who amazed doctors by surviving a brain tumour for 17 years, hung on until he was sure his wife could keep their new home in Moulton Seas End.

Wheelchair bound Kieran Stubbs (37) had been unable to speak in recent months since suffering a stroke in August last year, but a week before his death he managed to let his family know he was desperate to go into Spalding.

Mum Sue said: “He was really poorly, but we knew he said ‘Spalding’. His dad, David, helped us get him in the car and Kieran directed us to the council offices.

“He and his wife, Kelly, had moved from a flat in Holbeach to a bungalow in Moulton Seas End because he had become wheelchair bound.

“We’re sure he wanted to make sure Kelly could stay there, but we wouldn’t have been able to get him out of the car to go to the offices and we went home. The letter confirming she could stay there came three days later.”

Kieran died in Pilgrim Hospital last Monday, surrounded by his devoted family. He also leaves a sister, Lindsay, a niece Jasmine (five) and nephew Caine (15).

Sue, who is the Free Press correspondent in Holbeach, said: “We are very proud of him. He was so brave. We always knew this day would come, but you can never prepare for it.

“We can’t say enough about how marvellous Kelly has been. A year ago she gave her job up as a carer to look after him full-time.

“It was tough for us all, but she had it 24/7 and was so dedicated.”

When the Free Press interviewed Kieran at the age of 24, he had been given radiotherapy to shrink the tumour, but was told it would grow back within 10 years.

However, Sue said: “He has surprised his consultant because he is the longest living patient with a category two brain tumour he has known.”

In spite of living with the knowledge the tumour would one day kill him, he vowed to live life to the full.

An engineer assistant at Terry Johnson Ltd before his illness, he later worked part-time for his father at Stubbs Engineering.

Kieran was a keen grass track racer and member of the Spalding Autocross Club – a passion which he has passed on to his nephew, Caine.

Sue said: “Even when he was unable to carry on racing, Kieran loved to go and watch Caine and meet up with his friends for a drink at the Swan at Moulton.

“He also loved fishing with his dad. His dad is also in a group and he liked to watch him play.”

Kieran and Kelly lived in a flat in Holbeach until his symptoms intensified 18 months ago, and they moved to the bungalow in Moulton Seas End.

Sue said: “We are sure Kieran hung on to make sure Kelly was going to be all right – she gave up everything for him.

“He was so brave and although he was in a lot of pain he didn’t make a fuss. He just wanted to live a normal life.”

Friends and family will be able to pay their final tribute to him at his funeral at Surfleet Crematorium on Tuesday, March 3, at 3pm.