BABY MURDER CASE: Teen remanded and will stay in foster care

Grantham Magistrates court.
Grantham Magistrates court.
Have your say

A 16 year old girl accused of murdering a newborn baby boy by choking him has been remanded into local authority care after appearing before Lincoln Crown Court this afternoon (Friday).

The girl, who cannot be identified because of a court order, was arrested after police were called to a house in a village near Bourne shortly before 2am on Thursday of last week following a report of a dead baby being found.

Grantham Magistrates court

Grantham Magistrates court

A post mortem examination carried out on the baby later revealed the cause of death to be obstruction of the airways.

The 16-year-old, charged with murder between September 2 and 6, made a brief appearance before Grantham Magistrates this morning when her case was sent to Lincoln Crown Court.

She was back in court just hours later appearing at the Crown Court. The girl spoke only to confirm her name during a 75 minute hearing and no charge was put to her.

Judge Michael Heath remanded her to the care of the local authority and imposed a number of conditions including a ban on the girl having any unsupervised contact with her mother and step-father as both are witnesses in the case. She is also not to have unsupervised contact with any child under the age of 13.

The judge imposed an electronically monitored night time curfew between 7pm and 8am and ordered that the girl should not visit certain areas.

She is expected to live with a foster carer until her next Crown Court appearance, scheduled to take place in December.

FRIDAY 11.30AM: A 16-year-old girl wept in the dock as she appeared in court this morning charged with the murder of her newborn son.

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, didn’t speak during the short hearing at Grantham magistrates court.

Jane Loader, prosecuting, told the magistrates sitting as a youth court, that the girl was charged with the murder of the baby between September 2 and 6.

She said the baby was taken to a Peterborough hospital on September 5, where it was found to be dead on arrival.

Police were contacted and launched an investigation.

Miss Loader told the court a pathologist’s examination concluded the newborn had died as a result of a foreign object in its airway.

She said it was alleged that it had been a deliberate act, hence a charge of murder.

She asked for the teenager, who was dressed in a baggy dark blue sweatshirt, to be remanded into the care of the local authority until a hearing later today.

The girl nodded when asked by magistrate Richard Tollemache if she understood proceedings.

He said he felt for her at what must be a frightening time.

She was led away in handcuffs.