Apology to Spalding man who was wrongly blocked from entering town tip on his tricycle
A man who was wrongly blocked from entering Spalding tip on his tricycle has received an apology from council bosses.
The incident came as the West Marsh Road facility continues to be the subject of a host of complaints from residents - but council bosses insist things have ‘settled down’.
Spalding resident Victor Neto has visited the household waste and recycling centre on Saturday morning to deposit some garden waste.
He queued for 20 minutes only to be told he couldn’t enter. He was initially led to believe there was an issue with the hedge clippings he was taking, before being told that the reason he was being turned away was because he was on his tricycle.
He said: “Before the restrictions from Covid I had been there on my tricycle many, many times.”
Mr Neto rides a tricycle due to a leg injury.
His wife Olga said: “We were told that he couldn’t go in because he was on a tricycle and that counts as a push bike, which is classed as going on foot.
“For me it was without common sense. It’s OK to cycle on the road but it’s not OK to enter the recycling centre where the speed limit is 5mph, there’s no logic there.”
The couple were told to read the rules on the council website - but there is no information there relating to tricycles.
Simon Bell, of Lincolnshire County Council’s waste services team, told the Spalding Guardian that Mr Neto should not have been blocked from coming into the tip. He said: “Yes Victor is absolutely right - he had been using the site on his tricycle and he should have been allowed in again.
“We’re really sorry for the inconvenience caused. As a matter of priority we will make sure our contractors have all the correct information and that our website is updated.”
The tip has been dogged by issues in recent weeks - with big queues reported on both of the last two Friday mornings and traffic affected on the A16 as a result of the tailbacks.
There was also a fire in one of the bins on the first day back after the Covid booking system.
The county council has asked people to avoid busy times and says it will alert residents as to when these are on its social media channels. It is also looking at other methods of getting this information out.
Coun Daniel McNally, executive member for waste at the county council, vowed that a return to the booking system is not on the cards. He said: “No, the booking system won’t be reintroduced. As always, we look to see the service is working and we will consider making adjustments if necessary.
“Although there were issues initially, things have settled down and the system is working smoothly.”
The recent issues have prompted some residents to suggest the facility is in the wrong location and should be moved.
When asked about the prospect of this, Coun McNally said: “We will have to see if the problem persists before making any decision.”