RUGBY: Town tackle their poor form

Come here! Harry Brown gets to grips with Market Bosworth on Saturday.
Come here! Harry Brown gets to grips with Market Bosworth on Saturday.
Have your say

The backbone to this welcome win was a marked improvement in tackling, according to Spalding RFC chairman Geof Nichols.

One-from-bottom Town kept in touch with the sides immediately above them in the table by delighting their support at the Memorial Field.

And Nichols was in no doubt as to what made the difference this week.

“There was a massive improvement in the tackling,” he said. “We were much quicker up on our opponents, it was stronger tackling and quite often we were coming away with the ball.

“We still have to improve on our finishing – in the first half particularly there were chances when the final pass let us down – but overall we’re looking better.”

Although the playing conditions were difficult to master Spalding looked and performed more like a mid-table team.

And they made a lightning fast start. From kick-off, Dave Hankinson cleared from their half with a good line kick. Spalding won the resultant touch and the ball quickly came back to the three-quarters. Hankinson drew his man before passing down the line.

Harry Harrison received his first touch of the afternoon and was past his marker, cutting inside the full back to go over after only two minutes.

Time after time Spalding three-quarters were in action and pressing for another score and on more than one occasion they outnumbered the defence only for the final pass to go astray.

A Hankinson penalty took the score to 8-0 on the half hour.

Then, late in the half, Market Bosworth made one of their few sorties into Town’s 22. They won the ball from a maul and went over for an unconverted try.

It was Market Bosworth who started the second half the strongest and they soon had a penalty just inside the Spalding half, from which they levelled the score at 8-8.

The response was swift and positive. Town skipper Harry Sharman came straight through the centre of a maul in front of the posts to touch down. Hankinson added the points for 15-8 with 30 minutes left.

After one missed penalty, Hankinson nailed the next to give Town a ten-point lead.

And with five minutes left, they were again in control in Market Bosworth’s 22. The visitors were caught offside and Hankinson punished them with another successful penalty.

Town: Sharman (captain), Waudby, Lake, Shakespeare, Haighton, Coates, H Brown, E Duerden, Lucas, Hankinson, Winch, McHugh, Harrison, Childs, Adams, Hutson, Hoyles, G Brown.