Peter West has capped a super season at Spalding Golf Club by making the coveted Club Trophy his fourth event win of the campaign.
Going into the final round at Surfleet two shots off the pace, his nett 68 added to his opening round nett 68 gave him a 136 winning total, four strokes clear of the field.
West has also won the Massey Cup recently, defeating Matt Hendry 3&2 in a high quality final. He and playing partner Mark Jones also won the Course Stewards Cup, while just last week he delivered The Holmes Trophy. Since March, his handicap has fallen from 25 to 15.
In second spot was Ray Barnett (69+71=140) with Steve Camm (70+71=141) in third place. Other leading scores came from: 143 – Lloyd Chatham, Chris Moxen; 145 – Martin Green, Kevin Bellars; 147 – Archie Davies; 148 – Tim Davies; 150 – Peter Orwell.
• Spalding’s third teams beat North Shore GC (Skegness) 5 -1 in their final match of the season at Surfleet course.
Wins came from Rob Sampson and Monty Brittain (3&2), Pete Williams and Lawrie Haley (5&4), Jim Manson and Geoff Camm (7&6), Nick Edwards and Paul Hooper-Roe (3&2) and Roy and Stuart Parker (6&5).
• Tim Davies and Chris Dring defeated Mark Dodds an Miles Foden 4&3 to win Spalding’s Baker Bowl (four ball, better ball) event.
After exchanging wins at the early holes, Davies and Dring won holes six, eight, nine and 13 to to go 4up, which included three nett birdies. A birdie three from Foden on the 14th gave his team hope, but this was snuffed out by another nett birdie on the 15th from Davies and Dring to clinch the trophy.
Gedney Hill Golf CLub
Once again Gedney Hill were victorious at the Lincs Seniors League and Presentation Day.
Their best Stableford scores totalled an impressive 300 points at Rutland County Golf Club.
At the same event Wally Lawes from Gedney Hill and his partner, Ray Jones (Martin Moor) won the pairs competition with 47points.
• Other results: Men’s section: Strawberry Cup – 1st Steve Horton 41pts; 2nd Rob Newns 40; 3rd Barry Hircock 38.
• Ladies’ section: October Medal – 1st Janet Davis 73nett; 2nd Nicky Weller 74; 3rd Maggie Bingham 77. Dunelm Cup – 1st Marilyn Sayer 26pts; 2nd Nicky Weller 25pts; 3rd Ann Chick 22pts.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
• Seniors’ section: Tydd 3 RAF Marham 3 (Eddie Armstrong & Ken Parker lost 4&3, Alf Bishop & Russell Doy won 6&5,Brian Newby & Gerry Sherriff lost 6&5, Noel Bratt & Brian Gough halved, Phil Martin & Richard Martin won 1 up, Dennis Savory & Tony Petch halved).
• Seniors’ strokeplay voucher: D1 – 1st Steve Hart 82-12=70; 2nd Baz Smith 89-16=73 (ocb); 3rd Noel Bratt 82-9=73. D2 – 1st Sid Haxell 90-18=72; 2nd Richard Ward 93-20=73 (ocb), 3rd Barrie Mutimer 92-19=73. D3 – 1st Jack Daiziel 81-24=67 (ocb). D4 – 1st Tony Illsey 103-27=76 (ocb).