Pike is delighted with his marathon performance

Chris Shingles of Deeping St Nicholas.
Chris Shingles of Deeping St Nicholas.
Have your say

Spalding athlete John Pike produced an excellent run to finish 274th in his first serious marathon on Sunday but immediately announced it would be his last.

The 39-year-old completed the London Marathon in 2.42.43 but despite being delighted with his time he insisted: “Me and the marathon don’t mix.”

Karl Gernert of Pinchbeck.

Karl Gernert of Pinchbeck.

Pike had previously jogged round the Athens Marathon in 3.45 and was thrilled to knock an hour off that time but he found it a painful experience.

He said: “The pain from 21 miles onwards was unreal. Everything was hurting but everyone around me looked to be finding it easy.

“The last 600 metres seemed to take forever but I am pleased I did it and am very happy with my time.

“The atmosphere was electric, especially going over Tower Bridge where the crowd were 20 deep. The noise was deafening, I’ve never known anything like it.”

Spalding runner John Pike.

Spalding runner John Pike.

Pike, who went through halfway in 1.17.24, added: “I couldn’t have gone any quicker and I am chuffed to bits with my time but now I will focus on the 5k and 10k.

“Hopefully I will run quickly enough to make international teams as a veteran when I turn 40 in December.

“If I do decide to run another one I will just jog round but people tell me I will change my mind once the pain has gone and will want to do another serious marathon.”

Pike’s next outing is likely to be the Great East Anglia Run 10k at King’s Lynn next month, a race Pike has twice finished sixth in.

Richard Houghton of Bourne Town Harriers ran 3.53.36 to cross the line in 9,910 place with clubmate Mark Cochran 11.871st in 4.00.20.

Deeping St Nicholas fish and chip shop manager Chris Shingles completed his third London Marathon in the last four years but just missed out on his target of breaking four hours.

He was on target until 21 miles when he went over on his ankle after treading on a water bottle.

Shingles, who went through halfway in 1.59.26, eventually crossed the line in 4.16.57 which gave him 15,708th position.

The 33-year-old said: “My ankle is a bit tender after going over on it. I was at a water station and there were loads of bottles people had discarded and I jumped over the first lot but hit the second.

“My next marathon will probably be Edinburgh but I would like to do New York before my 40th birthday.”

Karl Gernert ran his first marathon since his university days, completing the course in 5.53.40 to finish 32,678.

The 33-year-old is the director of Spalding’s Act II Threatre Company and was running for the deafblind-focused charity Sense.

He said: “Being in the arts I am used to trying to create a buzz but I have never created a buzz in the way the London Marathon does.

“Britain, and particularly London, is really good at mass events and producing a feel good factor.

“The support you get out on the course is fantastic.”

Gernert may have enjoyed the event but he says he may leave it another ten years or so before he decides to tackle another one.

He added: “I fell apart around 17-18 miles and from then until 24 miles it was pretty hellish.

“It was pretty warm which just made it tougher.”

Holbeach runner Steve Tucker made his marathon debut just two years after kicking his 22-year, 60-a-aday smoking habit.

He went through halfway just a shade outside three hours and went on to complete the course in 6.37.04 to finish 34,818th.

Paul Garner was another to tackle the marathon for the first time and he crossed the line in 4.24.46 to finish 17,666.

The former coach at Boston United ran to raise money for the NSPCC.