MOTORCYCLING: Wilson well-placed after double podium

DOUBLE PODIUM: Ben Wilson shone at Thruxton. Photo by ADRIAN SMITH
DOUBLE PODIUM: Ben Wilson shone at Thruxton. Photo by ADRIAN SMITH
Have your say

Ben Wilson came away from Thruxton with a double podium finish after two incident packed races at round two of the British Supersport championship.

Both races were red flagged over the weekend, with the Kirton racer awarded finishes of third in the sprint and then second in the feature.

That leaves Wilson fourth in the overall rider standings, just 12 points behind current leader and Gearlink Kawasaki team-mate Alastair Seeley.

Free practice and qualifying went smoothly for the Lincolnshire ace.

He was to start the first race on Saturday from a second row grid position in fifth place, but the weather took a turn for the worse and all racing was postponed, with the sprint race being rescheduled for Sunday morning.

On a drying track Wilson was quick to get away at the start of the ten-lap race and completed the first lap in second place.

But Glen Richards ran wide on lap two, which allowed him to take the lead. The riders were all in close company, with any one of the leading six looking capable of winning.

But the red flag brought proceedings to an early end on lap seven when Glen Richards crashed and his bike caught fire on the track.

Wilson was awarded third place behind winner Stuart Easton and Seeley in second.

Speaking after the sprint, Wilson said: “I led 97 per cent of the race last year and was swamped on the last lap.

“I knew this time I had to get on the pace to get to the front and pretty much just sat in third, biding my time to slipstream down the back straight.

“But the red flag stopped the race and that was that. I am happy with the points, but it’s all about winning races and it’s a long time since Silverstone last year when I last won one.”

As they lined up for the start of the feature race Wilson was once again placed at the head of the second row.

This time he was third into the first corner and before the first lap was completed the top seven riders had broken away from the pack.

Again, the action was frantic with places being exchanged between the seven bikes, which were covered by less than 1.3 seconds.

Wilson led the race more than once but was running in second place behind Easton when the red flag once again brought things to an abrupt end.

Wilson added: “You can always set a game plan at Thruxton but you never know where anyone will be on that last lap.

“I had just passed Seeley with two laps to go and thought I could be in the right place at the right time to snatch the win but the red flag put paid to any thoughts in that direction. I am delighted to secure two podium finishes at Thruxton and have to thank everyone at Gearlink Kawasaki for their hard work this weekend.”

Next round is at Oulton Park on May 6.