TEN junior players from Spalding Hockey Club have been selected to attend England Hockey regional performance centres.
he news follows their outstanding appearances for Lincolnshire.
The players are under-15 girls Annie Dalton, Emma Dalton, Naomi Smith and Katie Gray, under-15 boys Ross Gavaghan, Connor Allen and Will Baker, under-17 girls Rachel Perkins and Coral Wild, and under-17 Daniel Barkworth.
• England Hockey Level 1 Coaching Course: 24 candidates, including ten from Spalding Hockey Club, successfully completed the Level 1 Coaching Course held at Glen Park, Surfleet, this month.
The boost to the qualified coaching staff means that the club will be able to increase the opportunities for young people to learn to play hockey.
• Junior hockey coaching: Youngsters of all abilities from complete beginners to more experienced players will be welcome.
The sessions for boys and girls aged 5 to 15 are at Glen Park, Surfleet on Tuesday, August 2, 9, 16 and 23, and Thursdays, August 4, 11 and 18 (9.30am-11am).
Saturday morning coaching sessions begin on September 3 and will run through until at least Easter 2012.
There will be the opportunities for youngsters to play in local friendly tournaments and competitive hockey in the Linconshire junior leagues through the season.
• International Hockey Summer Camp: The club’s youngsters will be put through their paces in an intensive two-day summer camp led by former England player Matt Taylor and coaches from the English National League.
With a maximum of 60 places available, this course on Thursday and Friday, August 25 and 26 is almost full already and promises to be very rewarding for the young players aged 11 to 18.
• Summer Sixes: Attendance at the club’s Summer Sixes reached a new high last week when more than 70 members played in inter club matches.
A total of around 100 members have to date attended the sessions held on Tuesday and Wednesdays (7pm-8.30pm) which bodes well for the season ahead.
• Adult beginners’ hockey: These sessions are held on Friday evenings (5.30-6.30pm) and have been very successful in getting adults back playing hockey after years away from the game.
Club chairman Fred Morris said: “Those who remember hockey from their schooldays will be surprised how quickly the skills return, particularly on the all weather surface. And it is good for fitness too.”
• All of the above hockey is held on the all-weather pitch at Glen Park, Station Road, Surfleet PE11 4DB.
For further information on the above please visit the club’s website www.spaldinghockeyclub.co.uk or contact club chairman Fred Morris on 01775 724832 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org