Vic Davis and his teenage grandson Calum Walker took the spoils in Spalding Golf Club’s Baker Bowl – the last of the summer knockout finals.
The fourball/betterball format final was a really tight affair, with Davis and 15-year-old Walker edging out Andy Grimwood and Trevor Laud 1up with a putt on the 18th.
In very windy conditions at Surfleet, Grimwood and Laud were 2up after 13 holes – which included a birdie from each of them at holes three and 12. But nett birdies at 15 and 17 from young Walker squared the match up again.
Although bunkered at the last, Walker watched his opponents and playing partner Davis just fail to convert their par putts, when he then calmly stroked in a five footer to take the trophy for him and his grandfather.
The losing semi-finalists were Simon and Edward Brand and Nick Holmes and Simon Richardson.
• Robin Roffe (17 handicap), who won the Gold Medal competition recently, has finished the season in style by adding the Club Trophy to his tally.
Going into the second and final round two strokes adrift of the leader, his nett 69 – added to his opening round 69 – gave him a winning total of 138. Just one stroke adrift in second place was Dan Hines (70+69=139), with Geoff Moyses (67+73=140) taking third spot.
Other leading scores: 143 – Wayne Flowers, David Tasker; 144 – John Camm; 145 – David Inglis; 148 – Tony Bray; 149 – Roger Brown.
• The annual challenge match between the Drovers team and the Hillbillies resulted in a 12-5 win for the Hillbillies.
Best performances for the Hillbillies came from Peter Bridge and Neil Knighton (5&3), team captain Peter Williams and Andy Warnes (4&3), Jim Robertson and Bill Creasey (4&3) and Vince Ward and Ray Barnett (4&3).
For the Drovers, Paul Simpson and James Douglas (6&5), David Bark and Martin Spenceley (3&2) and Tony Holbrook and John Camm (2up) all won.
• Ladies’ section: The second round of the Groom Shield saw 14 ladies qualify to contest this bogey competition. The winner was Lesley Williams with -1, ahead of Barbara Newcombe (-2) and Liz Holbrook (-3) in second and third places.
The third round is due to be played on November 20.
• Gedney Hill Golf Club: Men’s section: Dave Allen Shield: 1st Steve Horton 48pts; 2nd David Lord 46; 3rd Steve Sayer 40.
• Seniors’ section: Golden Oldies: Up to age 65: 1st David Lord 37pts; 2nd Rob Newns 35. Age 66-70: 1st John Venters 40pts; 2nd Bill Smith 35. Age 71 and over: 1st Doug Aitken 36pts; 2nd Brian Cave 33.
• Ladies’ section: Autumn Cup: 1st Chris Bennett 32pts; 2nd Nicky Weller 30(acb); 3rd Marilyn Sayer 30.
• Sutton Bridge Golf Club: October Mixed Foursomes: 1st George Baines & Margaret Fox 30pts; 2nd Roy Fox & Suzanne Larham 29 pts; 3rd Norman Davis & Jen Baines 28pts.