SPALDING Golf Club’s scratch league first team failed to capitalise on home advantage as they dropped a valuable point in their quest for the title.
They were held 3-3 by third-placed Belton Park at Surfleet, with their winning pairs Steve Wade and Richard Laud (7&6), Andy Grimwood and Lloyd Chatham (6&5) and Mark and Oliver Mitchell (2up).
This makes for a nail biting run-in, with table topping Spalding having two matches to play and a two-point advantage over main rivals Stoke Rochford.
The second-placed side do have three games to play, but boast a better win ratio.
However, Spalding’s second team remain rooted at the bottom of their league after losing 5-1 against their counterparts at Belton Park.
Their only winning pair was Graham Hutchings and Harry Hunt (2&1).
• A mixed Stableford competition was won by Charlie Wallace (15 handicap) with a superb 44 points, a gross 79, which also earned him a handicap reduction to 13.
Trevor Laud (11 handicap, now ten) continued his good form by taking second spot with 40 points, with Tracy Siddle (37 points) edging third place from Dan Hines on countback.
Completing the leaderboard, all with 36 points, were Lloyd Chatham, Hugo Kedzlie, Wayne Wallace and Oliver Mitchell.
• Spalding’s third team won their latest social match against Belton Park GC 3-2 at Surfleet, with one game halved.
Winning pairs for the home team were Mick Bell and Chris Bettinson (4&3), Doug Garfoot and Graham Chamberlain (4&3) and Rob Sampson and Peter Williams (2&1).
Monty Brittain and John Beba halved their game.
• Ladies’ section: Sue Dewar’s excellent form continued as she scored a sparkling 40 points to win the July Stableford competition, reducing her handicap by a shot to 23.
Chris Leggett was second with 37 points.
• Spalding ladies’ second league team continued their great season with a 3-1 win at home against Blankney’s second string.
Results: Gerry Barnett & Ruth Atkins halved, Norma Parker & Anita Cross won 1up, Avril Norton & Barbara Newcombe halved, Theresa Starbuck & Jean White won 1up.
• A friendly match away at Seacroft saw Spalding beaten 2.5-1.5.
Result: Eileen Bridge & Norma Parker lost (2&1), Elaine Hancock & Dina Reedman won 3&2, Paula Brown & Carole Holland halved, Avril Norton & Jean White lost 4&3.
• Spalding’s ladies drew a friendly clash with Toft 2-2 at the Surfleet course.
Result: Eileen Bridge & Jenny Pipe lost 2&1, Mo Wallace & Phyl Borst won 2up, Sue Dewar & Gerry Barnett lost 2&1, Janet Davies & Debra Ward won 2up.
• In a scratch league match away at Stoke Rochford, the trio of Pat West, Elaine Hancock and Angela Roper all finished one down in three very tight tussles.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding won their match at home against Boston West 5-3.
Their winning pairs were Colin Inkley and Ron Sudbury (1 up), Sid Chapman and Cliff Edmundson (8&7), Shaun Gibson and Rod Hunt (6&5), Monty Brittain and Bill Richardson (2&1), Maurice Norton and Pete Amess (2&1).
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Captain’s Day – 1st Mark Charnley 41pts; 2nd Dean Catlow 37pts; 3rd Sam Shippey 34pts. Nearest to pin (holes 6 & 15) – Mark Charnley; (holes 8 & 17) – Mark Charnley. Ladies’ winner – Ann Davis. Ladies’ nearest to pin (in 3 on holes 4 & 13) – Margaret Fox. The day raised £223 for DebRA (charity).
• Seniors’ section: Seacroft 7 Sutton Bridge 1 (Chris Shipp & Peter Wailes lost 6&5, Don Robinson & Harold Shingleton lost 5&4, Roy Fox & Peter North lost 4&3, John Cross & Roy Amos halved, Sid Everitt & Roger Williamson lost 5&4, Colin Ess & Steve Saffer halved, Tony Town & Norman Davis lost 4&2, Keith Robinson & Noel Clare lost 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: Lady Captain’s Day – 1st Jeannette McEwan 38pts; 2nd Margaret Fox 31pts; 3rd Ann Davis 30pts. Nearest to pin – Diana Coe.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
SID Haxell and Alf Bishop were the winners of the Tydd Seniors’ Open event.
An impressive 136 players took part in a the Stableford pairs competition, with Haxell and Bishop victorious on 48 points.
Mike Barton and Alex McKinnon (47 points) were the home runners-up, ahead of Ian Fitt and Barry Purple on 47 points,
The winning away pair was Bob Darlow and Stan Hewlett (Rushden) with 47 points, ahead of J Burton and David Thompson (Middleton Hall) with 46 points.
Robin Burton and Colin Moore were the third-placed away trio with 45 points.
There was also an impressive hole in one from Middleton Hall’s David Thompson on the par three 12th hole.
Other winners: Longest drive (third) – Mike Brown (home); Mike Box (away). Nearest to pin (fourth) – Stuart Lacey (home); Roger Warnes (away). (16th) – Bob Hewitt (home); George McNeil (away).
• Other results: South Lincolnshire Scratch League – Kirton Holme 1 Tydd St Giles A 5 (Jamie Stott & Malcolm Stead won 2&1, Ian Edrupt & Josh Chaplain-Barton lost 3&1, Leigh Chapman & Liam Chapman won 2&1, Lee Willis & Luke Rowell won 3&2, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Rod Drew won 1 up, Kevin Goude & Garry Fitzjohn won 3&2).
Toft Hotel GC
TOFT’S top scratch team stayed top of the South Lincolnshire League with a resounding 4-2 win over Greetham Valley.
Results: Emile Van Der Merwe & Adam Freear won 6&4; Nick Garland & Ian Mitchell lost 2&1; James Dair & Nick Welsh won 2&1; Scott Freer & Dave Whisker won 7&5; Graeme Burns & Benito Schiavi won 3&1; Les Lawrence & Oliver Aspinal lost 5&4.
• Summer Medal Series – 1st Ian Henderson with nett 65; 2nd J Piggott with nett 66; 3rd Dave whisker with nett 67.
• Nelson Green Trophy – 1st Gavin Jones 41pts; 2nd John Piggott 41pts; 3rd Malcom Webb 41pts; 4th Roy McAllister 41pts; 5th Paul Hubbard 41pts; 6th Gary Pearce 41pts; 7th Phil Jesson 40pts.
• Saturday Stableford – 1st David Parsonage 42pts; 2nd Maurice Missin 38pts; 3rd Michael Reedman 37pts.
• Sunday Stableford – 1st Michael Marriott 40pts; 2nd Oliver Aspinall 39pts; 3rd Joe Grimer with 39 points.
• Midweek Stableford – 1st James Dair 37pts; 2nd Mark Gould 37pts.
Gedney Hill GC
Seniors’ section: Gedney Hill 4 Sudbrook Moor 2 (Carl Claxton & Bob Duke lost 3&1; David Lord & Keith Cooper won 4&3; Peter Orbine & Bill Sharpe won 1up; Rob Newns & Tom Melvin lost 1 down; John Venters & Noel Delaney won 6&5; Gavin Staite & Roy Britton won 6&5).
• Seniors’ Captain’s Day: Overall – 1st Merv Davis; Senior men’s – 1st Carol Plume; Ladies’ – 1st Ros Upton; Guests – 1st Merv Davies.