Spalding Golf Club men’s 1st team consolidated their place in the South Lincs Scratch League’s top three with a good 4-2 home win against Boston.
As well as sealing vital points, the squad proved they have strength in depth after a good showing from second team players who were drafted in.
The winning pairs were Simon Richardson and Hugo Kedzlie (1up), Phil Packard and Chas Lacey (3&1) and the red-hot duo of Richard Laud and Keith Hearne (6&5).
Ollie Mitchell and Wayne Wallace and Patrick Kelly and Steve Camm both halved their games.
• Spalding’s charity AM/AM was again well supported with 29 teams of four taking to the field, which included golfers from 18 different clubs.
The winning quartet was the home club’s Mark Jones and Mark Crozier, with their guests from Blankney and Boston West, scoring 98 Stableford points.
In second spot was Spalding’s Wayne Wallace, Albert Jacobs, Allan Singer and Mal Wray on countback with a score of 95pts.
The nearest the pin prize was won by Steve Emery of Boston.
But the real winners on the day were the three captains’ chosen charities – Alzheimer’s Society, Anna’s Hope and Gosberton House School, for who just over £3,000 was raised.
This was achieved through sponsorship, raffles, auctions and the generosity of the participating golfers and club members. Club captain Neil Knighton thanked the many helpers who made the day such a success.
• Spalding’s social match against Seacroft at Skegness resulted in a 3-3 tie.
Spalding lost the first three games, but came back to square the match up with wins coming from Phil Thorold and Trevor Horrocks (1up), James Douglas and Paul Johnson (3&1), with John Camm and David Perrott putting in the best performance, winning 5&4.
• The mixed team just failed to get a winning double over their counterparts at Sleaford.
After winning comfortably at home earlier in the season, this time they were held to a 4-4 tie.
The winning pairs for Spalding were Neil West and Beryl Skinner (6&5), Max Ellis and Paula Brown (3&1) and Geoff Skinner and Dianne West (4&2).
John Newcombe and Eileen Bridge and Keith Holland and Barbara Newcombe both halved their games.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
Men’s section: Sutton Bridge 3.5 March 2.5 (Steen Catlow & John Caney won 4&3; Colin Fawcett & Geoff Coombs lost 4&3; Bob Newby & Ralph Grimes halved; Les Howard & Pat Land won; Jon Essam & Mark Charnley won 5&4).
• Result: Heacham Manor 2 Sutton Bridge 4 (Steen Catlow & Richard Caney won 8&7; Terry Young & Steve Hyde lost 5&3; Sam Shippey & John Bliss won 2up; Ralph Grimes lost 3&2; Jon Essam & Mark Charnley won 2&1; Colin Fawcett & Bob Newby won 4&3).
• Result: Swaffham 2 Sutton Bridge 2 (Steen Catlow & Bob Newby won 3&1; Tony Spriggs & George Baines lost 4&3; Ralph Grimes & Jon Essam won 4&3; Richard Caney & Chris Rippley lost 4&3).
• Mixed: Sunday Mixed Foursomes: 1st John Cross &Margaret Fox 36 pts; 2nd Roy Fox & Jen Baines 36pts; 3rd Norman Davis & Janet Groves 35pts.
• Result: Sutton Bridge mixed 4 March mixed 2 (Margaret Fox & John Caney won; Linda Searle & Barry Irwin won; Carol Caney & Roy Fox won; Ann & Norman Davis lost; Ann & John Cross lost; Judy & Ken Green won).
• Seniors’ section: Seniors Invite Ladies: 1st Roy Fox & Jen Baines 37pts; 2nd Norman Davis & Jenny Wells 35pts; 3rd John & Ann Cross 34pts; 4th Roy Amos & Peggy Ellis 33 pts. Nearest to pin (holes 2&11): Peter Wailes; (holes 6&15): Richard Titchener.
• Result: Sutton Bridge Seniors 4 Boston Seniors 2 (Roger Williamson & Tony Town lost 4&2; Roy Amos & Mervyn Williamson won 5&4; Norman Davis & Harold Shingleton won 6&4; John Cross & Don Robinson lost 5&4; Chris Shipp & Richard Titchener won 4&3; Peter Wailes & Stan Poulten won 3 &1.
• Ladies’ section: Lady Captain’s Day: 1st Brenda Bell 38pts; 2nd Jane Rose 34 pts (ocb); 3rd Jen Baines 34pts (ocb). Nearest pin: Jenny Wells. Nearest to the line: Linda Searle.
GEDNEY HILL GOLF CLUB
Joint Captain’s Day: Men’s competition: 1st Eric Cowles 43pts; 2nd Gregg Walsh 41 (ocb); 3rd Robert Davis 41. Nearest the pin (3) – Barry Hircock; (4) – Tom Day; (11) – Jim Starbuck; (12) – Kerr Page. Nearest the line: Dave Roberts. Longest drive: Gareth Thomas.
• Ladies’ competition: 1st Marilyn Sayer 41pts; 2nd Janet Davis 24; 3rd Chris Bennett 33 (ocb). Nearest the pin (4): Maggie Bingham.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
Men’s section: South Lincolnshire Scratch League: Burghley Park 5 Tydd St Giles A (Gavin Merrison & Adey Bills lost 1 down; Lee Willis & Tim Hines lost 3&2; Ian Edrupt & John Tyler lost 2 down; Malcolm Stead & Link Gostic lost 2&1; Tom Brooks & Kevin Goude won 5&4; Leigh Chapman & Luke Rowell lost 1 down).
• Monthly medal: Division One: 1st Mark Gostic 66; 2nd George Pawson (ocb) 67; 3rd Tom Brooks 67. Division Two: 1st Andrew Stacey 65 (ocb); 2nd Andy Gaff 65; 3rd John Kellegher 67. Division Three: 1st Steve Gray 62; 2nd Duncan Connabeer 64; 3rd Steve Boor 64.
• Seniors’ section: Richmond Park 2.5 Tydd St Giles 3.5 (Paul Jackson & Lee Smith lost 2&1; Mike Parker & Terry Sambridge won 2up; Brian Newby & Kerbad Daboo lost 6&5; Dennis Savory & Baz Smith halved; Noel Bratt & Dave Morris won 3&1; Russell Doy & Gerry Sherriff won 3&2; nearest ton pin – Noel Bratt).