Spalding Golf Club men’s scratch teams began their South Lincolnshire League campaign at the weekend – and suffered mixed fortunes.
The first team, runners-up last year, dropped a home point against a strong Sleaford team after being held to a 3-3 draw.
Winning pairs for Spalding were James Crampton and Oliver Mitchell (5&4), Dan Hines and Charles Lacey (2up) and team captain Andy Grimwood and Lloyd Chatham (3&1).
The second team, promoted to Division One this year, lost their match 4-2 in the reverse fixture against their counterparts at Sleaford.
The only winning dup was Peter Clark and Rob Kedzlie, (3&2), with the other point coming from Phil Tweddell and Mark Jones and Lawrie Haley and Chris Hancock, who both halved their games.
• The mixed team suffered a 4-2 defeat in their first game of the season at near neighbours Sutton Bridge.
The captains, Neil Knighton and Angela Roper, led from the front with a 3&2 win, but the visitors then lost the next four games. Neil West and Olive Gooderson at least salvaged a little pride, winning the last game 5&4.
• The club’s annual England against Ireland challenge match was played last weekend. It was Ireland’s skipper Johnny Walker who regained the Shillelagh Trophy with a 10-9 victory against an England side led by Bob Pearson.
Lawrie Haley and Mags McArdle (8&7) and Andy Rafferty and Angela Maltby (5&4) were the pick of the winners for the Irish team, while Neil Knighton and Sue Hennigan (7&6) and Phil Packard and Wayne Wallace (5&4) performed well for England.
More than £420 was raised for charity on the day.
• Ladies’ section: Jackie Bailey-Scott’s magnificent round of 69 saw her win the first Monthly Medal competition at Surfleet.
She also reduced her handicap from 31 to 27. Elaine Harrison came second on 78 and Margaret McArdle third on 81.
• Spalding lost a friendly fixture 3-1 at Lincoln side Canwick Park. Angela Roper and Jenny Wilson won 4&3, but Ruth Atkins and Eileen Bridge ( 7&5), Liz Holbrook and Chris Vickers (2 down) and Olive Gooderson and Debra Ward 3&2 all lost.
• The ladies’ Stableford match rescheduled from March was won by Paula Brown with 35 points. Lesley Williams (31pts) and Beverley Harpham (30pts) were second and third respectively.
• Hosts Toft beat Spalding’s Dianne Platt and Paula Brown 3&2 in the second round of the Daily Mail Foursomes.
• The Club round of the Coronation Foursomes was won by Olive Gooderson and Chris Leggett with 33 Stableford points. They beati Jean White and Phyl Borst, who achieved a score of 30, and will now be entered for the regional round later in the season.
• Spalding’s Mollie Daview won the county girls’ spring meeting, which took place at Blankney, with a score of 43 points and reduced her handicap from 34 to 30.5.
• A Silver Division match at home against Sleaford resulted in a 2.5-1.5 victory for Spalding. Elaine Hancockand Liz Holbrook (3&2) and Anita Cross and Mags McArdle ( 3&2) both won, while Dina Reedman and Theresa Starbuck halved their game.
• The Gold Medal, a competition for all the winners of last season’s monthly medal competitions, was won by Matilde Kedzlie with 78 Stableford points.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Results: Ladies’ section: April Medal: 1st Karen Gillett 108-25=83 (ocb); 2nd Chelsea Petty 110-27= 83; 3rd Jen Baines 109-23=86. Par Competition: 1st Chelsea Petty -1; 2nd Jen Baines –3; 3rd Karen Gillett –5.
• Seniors’ section: King’s Lynn 6 Sutton Bridge (Roger Williamson &Peter Wailes lost 4&2; Roy Fox & Noel Clare lost 1 down; Alan Quince and Stan Poulten lost 3& 1; Chris Shipp & Sid Warner lost 4&3; John Cross & Roy Amos lost 5&3; Terry Young & Tony Town lost 5&3).
• Mixed section: Sutton Bridge 4 Spalding 2 (Steen Catlow & Margaret Fox lost 3&2; Ralph Grimes& Jenny Wells won 4&3; Roger Williamson & Karen Gillett won 4&3; Roy Fox & Jane Rose won 4&2; John Cross & Ann Cross won 2&1; Noel Clare & Judy Green lost 5&4).