A SUPERB score of 45 Stableford points guided Lloyd Chatham and James Carles to glory in Spalding Golf Club’s Lovell Cup competition.
Chatham (3 handicap) and Carles (27) bossed the greensome foursomes event, which was for pairs in different handicap categories.
The duo coasted in to take the trophy with a three-point winning margin from a field of almost 60 pairs.
Best of the rest in second place with 42 points was Tim Davies and Nigel Patrick on 42pts, while Dave Bell and David Smith just pipped Mike Murphy and Wayne Wallace for third spot after both pairs scored 41 points.
Defending champions Adam Davey and Mark Dodds were awarded fifth place after netting 40 points, on countback from five other teams.
They were Nick Bird and Carl Sewell, Neil Clarke and Adrian Sibley, Paul Coddington and Keith Rate, Richard Laud and John Walker and John Reynolds and John Beba.
• In the last mixed social match of the season, Spalding enjoyed a 5-1 win over near neighbours Sutton Bridge.
On a very wet afternoon at Surfleet, the winning pairs for the home team were Andy and Dina Reedman (7&6), Sandy Watson and Mo Wallace (1up), Frank Bell and Avril Norton (3up), Russell Steels and Olive Gooderson (4up) and Barry Simmonite and Phyl Borst (3up). Sutton’s only win came from Roy Fox and Jenny Wells, who prevailed 4up.
• A mixed exchange day with Waltham Windmill (Grimsby) was played recently, with the team of Ray Harrison, John Newcombe, Teresa Starbuck and Chris Vickers winning the competition.
• Ladies’ section: SPALDING’S final friendly match finished as the season began – with poor weather.
Still, the ladies won their home game against Belton Woods 3-1, although only two of the couples played the full course. The other two had to be decided over nine holes due to heavy rain.
• Result (18 holes): Norma Parker & Angela Roper won 3&2; Jean White & Deborah Ellis lost. (9 holes): Hannah Thorold & Jennifer Pipe won; Millie Thorold & Janet Davis won.
• THE September Stableford, played in conjunction with the Vilma Radcliffe Cup, was won by Dina Reedman on 38 points. The victory helped reduce her handicap to 18.
Angela Roper came in second with 37, cutting her handicap to 12 in the process, while Paula Brown was third on 35. She also reduced her handicap to 15.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding saw off Stoke Rochford 6-2 in their latest friendly match at Surfleet.
The winning teams for Spalding were captain Colin Inkley and Roger Davey, Dave McDermott and Steve Leggatt, Pete Williams and Pete Julien, Ian Jones and Roy White, Shaun Gibson and John Tilling and Brian Stuckey and Peter Bridge.
• Denis Cary Trophy: Overall winner – Howard Price. Group One – 1st Howard Price; 2nd Wayne Wallace; 3rd Malcolm Hole; 4th Roger Wicks. Group Two – 1st Greg Bayliss; 2nd; Phil Calvert; 3rd Mike Lynas; 4th Nev Boyfield.
r July Medal: Overall winner – Ray Barnett. Group One – 1st Ray Barnett; 2nd Gary Collins; 3rd Steve Watson; 4th Derek Brand. Group Two – 1st Mike O’Brien; 2nd Phil Calvert; 3rd John Wright; 4th Digger Roberts.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
• Men’s section: Gold Medal Final 2012 – 1st Leigh Chapman 68-4=64; 2nd Wayne Alder 77-10=67; 3rd Kevin Goude 68-1=69; 4th Malcolm Stead 77-7=70.
• September Medal: Division One – 1st Leigh Chapman 68-4=64; 2nd Lee Willis 66-1=65; 3rd Mark Gedge 76-11=65. Division Two – 1st Kevin Dady 80-13=67; 2nd Craig Garner 83-15=68; 3rd Alfie Cooper 84-14=69. Division Three – 1st Bill Boughen 97-28=69; 2nd John Durant 95-24=71 (ocb); 3rd Mike Barton 90-19=71.
• Seniors’ section: March 3.5 Tydd St Giles 2.5 (David Morris & David Truluck halved, Russell Doy & Trevor Sewell won 3&1, Brian Gough & Brian Newby lost 5&4, Eddie Armstrong & Dennis Savory lost 7&6, Ken Parker & Noel Bratt won 2&1, Kerbad Daboo & Tony Petch lost 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: Thursday Medal – 1st Eunice Everitt 76nett; 2nd Maggie Semper (ocb) 77nett; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall 77nett.
• Sunday Medal – 1st Maria Taylor Vassall 73nett; 2nd Nicola Stead 75nett; 3rd Sue Racey 76nett.
• Fun Farm September Medal – 1st Maria Taylor 73nett.
• Jubilee Pairs Competition – 1st Soon Letchford & Penny Wicks 68.8; 2nd Sue Racey & Lorraine Gallie 69.8; 3rd Sylvia Illsley & Val Sambridge 70.4.
• Thursday Stableford – 1st Maria Taylor Vassall 35pts (ocb); 2nd Eunice Everitt 35pts; 3rd Lin Walker 33pts.
• Sunday Stableford – 1st Soon Letchford 39pts; 2nd Petra Meir 35pts; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall 32pts.
• Rabbits Cup (donated by Sylvia Illsley) – overall winner Cathie Andrews.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Sutton Bridge Gentlemen 2 Sutton Bridge Ladies 2 (Barry Irwin & Mike Bell lost to Carole Whitelam & Margaret Fox 3&2; Roy Fox & Ted Simpson beat Ann Cross & Jane Rose 4&3; Terry Young & John Cross beat Brenda Bell & Brenda Barton 4&2; George Baines & Richard Essam lost to Jenny Wells & Janet Simpson 1 down.
• Ladies’ section: Grannies Cup – 1st Chelsea Petty 32pts; 2nd Jen Baines 31pts; 3rd Anne Clarke 27pts. Non-Grannies Cup – 1st Suzanne Larham 43pts; 2nd Judith Ostler 27pts (ocb); 3. Betty Reeve 27pts.
• Cottage Cup – 1st Ann Davis 108-25=83; 2nd Jen Baines 107-23=84 (ocb); 3rd Jenny Wells 106-22=84. Best scratch – Margaret Fox.
• Result – Sutton Bridge 1 March 3 (Carole Whitelam & Margaret Fox; Linda Searle & Judith Ostler; Jill McEwan & Jane Rose; Karen Gillett & Fid Cropper).
• Seniors’ section: Result – Sutton Bridge 3 Middleton Hall 3 (Chris Shipp & Richard Titchener lost 3&2; Terry Young & Don Robinson won 4&2; Roy Fox & Noel Clare lost 1down; Roy Amos & Stan Poulton lost 4&3; Charlie Waling & Peter North won 4&3; John Cross & Roger Williamson won 3&2).
• Mixed section: Result – Spalding 5 Sutton Bridge 1 (Team: Terry Young & Margaret Fox; Colin Fawcett & Linda Searle; Roy Fox & Jenny Wells; George & Jen Baines; John & Ann Cross; John Cropper & Suzanne Larham).