FINE form by Spalding Golf Club Ladies has steered them through to the sixth round of the Mail on Sunday National Golf Club Classic.
A very closely contested match at Elton Furze was just won by Spalding, 3-2.
Wins came from Elaine Hancock, Paula Brown and Pat West. Angela Roper and Lesley Williams lost.
The next round will be home to Louth.
• The 1st team won 3-1 at Toft. Pat West and Elaine Hancock won 3-1; Elizabeth Holbrook and Angela Roper won 2-1; Lesley Williams and Angela Maltby won 3-1 and Paula Brown and Anita Cross lost 5-3.
• The Sunday medal bronze division was won by Matilde Kedzlie (72pts). She also cut her handicap from 25 to 21.
Second place went to Hannah Thorold (73). Silver division was won by Lesley Williams.
• The ‘Unders and Overs’ competition for those aged under 65 and over 65: ‘Overs’ (13 holes) – 1st Eileen Bridge 26pts; 2nd Sarah Halgarth 23; 3rd Ruth Atkins 22. ‘Unders’ (18 holes) – 1st Anita Cross 35 (ocb); 2nd Jill Huggins 45; 3rd Debra Ward 34.
• Spalding Ladies hosted an open AM/AM, with 150 competitors representing 26 clubs.
Spalding were well placed in the prizes with Millie and Hannah Thorold and their visitors in first place. Mags McArdle and her guests came second, and Linda Double, Paula Brown and their guests were fourth.
• Both of Spalding’s South Lincs Scratch League teams had good wins.
The 1st team – although not at full strength – won 4-2 at home to Sleaford with the replacements doing their bit.
Spalding won the first three games through Steve Wade and Adam Davey (1up), Mark Mitchell and Andy Warnes (6&4) and Mal Wray and Keith Hearne (1up).
And a late 3&2 win from Lloyd Chatham and Nick Holmes secured the points.
The 2nd team sit proudly at the top their league after winning a third away match on the bounce – 4.5-1.5 at Belton Woods – to maintain their 100 per cent record.
Pick of the wins came from Phil Tweddell and Mark Cooley 5&3 with other wins from Mark Laud and Mark Jones, Rob Kedzlie and Carl Reedman (both 3&2), and Pete Clark and Harry Hunt (3&1). Wayne Wallace and Hugo Kedzlie halved their game.
Both teams are sponsored by Dalehead Foods, of Spalding.
• Spalding Men’s 1st team squad powered their way into the last eight of the Elsham county foursomes competition with a 14up away win at a windy North Shore at Skegness.
The format consists of three pairs playing the full 18 holes, off scratch with the combined matchplay score to count.
First pair out, James Crampton and Mark Mitchell, were 4 down after five holes but reduced the deficit to 2 at the turn. They then applied the pressure on the back nine to win 1up.
Simon Richardson and Oliver Mitchell played steady golf early on and were 3up at the turn but then ran away with the game on the back nine, winning 7up.
Last out, Steve Wade and Andy Grimwood, played very well throughout and won 6up, shooting a 2 under par gross to cement the win and set up a quarter-final tie at either Belton Park or Boston.
• Seniors’ section: The overall winner of the May medal was Michael O’Brien with a nett 72 off a handicap of 20.
Division One – 1st Howard Price (12) nett 73; 2nd David Tasker (9) 74; 3rd Stephen Leggatt (17) 74; 4th Gary Collins (9) nett 74. Division Two – 1st Michael O’Brien (20) 72; 2nd Tony Jarvis (19) nett 74; 3rd David Smith (20) nett 74; 4th John Newcombe (19) nett 74.
r Spalding 5 Peterborough Milton 3. Winning pairs for Spalding were Dave McDermott and Brian Stuckey, Shaun Gibson and Mike Gould, Ray Andrew and Norman Miller, Ged Cox and Bill Richardson and John Stanford and Barrie Hutson.
Gedney Hill GC
David Lord and Rob Newns were victorious in the Oundle Senior Pairs Open.
In a field of 59 pairs, they achieved a very creditable Stableford score of 43 points off 3/4 handicap, which was one shot ahead of their nearest rivals.
• Seniors’ section: RAF Marham 3.5 Gedney Hill 2.5: Doug Aitken and Bob Townsend halved; Roy Britton and Don Hinshelwood lost 3&1; Stuart Field and Carol Plume won 5&4; Peter Orbine and Neil Sargeant lost 2&1; Bill Smith and Ron Walpole lost 2&1; Carl Claxton and Malcolm Oliver won 1 up.
• Rabbits’ section: Hovenden 5 Gedney Hill 2: Graham East lost 2&1; Greg Walsh and Mo Parling lost 2 down; Pete Orbine and Neil Sergeant lost 2&1; Roy Britton and Chris Bennett lost 5&3; Gary Moore and Bill Sharpe won 6&5; Stuart Sharp and Ray Wright won 6&4; Marilyn Sayer and Paul Hanson lost 1 down.
• Ladies’ section: May Cup – 1st Ann Chick 29pts (ocb); 2nd Janet Davis 29; 3rd Nicky Weller 29.
Sutton Bridge GC
May Mixed Foursomes: 1st George Baines and Suzanne Larham 32pts; 2nd Norman Davis and Ann Cross 30; 3rd John Cross and Janet Simpson.
• Sutton Bridge Seniors 4 Burghley Park 4. Sutton Bridge – Chris Shipp (captain) and David Matthews won 2&1; John Cropper and Harold Shingleton lost 2&1; Alan Quince and Noel Clare won 2&1; Richard Titchener and Brian Bowell won 1 up; Keith Robinson and John Cross lost 2&1; Charlie Waling and Steve Saffer won 2&1; Ray Page and Roy Amos lost 2 down; Peter Wailes and Don Robinson lost 3&2.
• Lady Captain’s Charity Day: team winners – Fid Cropper, Ann Cross, Janet Simpson and Margaret Fox; putting competition – Jill McEwan.
A total of £582.85 was raised for Multiple Sclerosis Society, the captain’s chosen charity for her year.
Tydd St Giles GC
The annual Rabbits Cup Open was on the hottest day of the year so far.
Brian Shales, senior co-ordinator and organiser of the event, was pleased with the response. Some players travelled from Ramsey, Norwich, Stoke Rochford and Fakenham.
Result: 1st Dave Morris 39pts (ocb); David Truluck (38); 3rd Brian Gough 38.
The sum of £101 was raised by the raffle in aid of The Rays Of Sunshine Children’s Charity.
• South Lincolnshire Scratch League – Tydd St Giles 1.5 Toft Hotel GC 4.5 Tydd pairings – Ady Bills and Tim Hines won 2up; Malcolm Stead and Andy Betts halved; Paul Chaplain-Barton and Rod Drew lost 4&3; Gavin Merrison and Jamie Stott lost 3&2; Lee Willis and Leigh Chapman lost 5&4; Kevin Goude and Tom Brooks lost 2&1.
• Seniors’ Stableford Trophy competition: gold division – 1st Noel Bratt 38pts; 2nd Dennis Savory 37; 3rd Alex McKinnon 33. Silver division – 1st David Truluck 38; 2nd John Ormiston 36; 3rd Ken Walker 35. Bronze division – 1st Lee Newman 38; 2nd Brian Shales 34; 3rd Salvatore DiBella 33.
• Tydd St Giles seniors 5 Middleton Hall Seniors 1. Tydd pairings – Eddie Armstrong and Terry Sambridge won 1 up; Brian Newby and Brian Gough won 4&3; Paul Jackson and Ged Taylor lost 3&2; Steve Hart and David Morris won 5&3; Kerbad Daboo and Salvatore DiBella won 4&3; Baz Smith and Mike Parker 3&2).