SPALDING Golf Club are now officially ranked as the fifth best team in England.
That’s after three of their top male players played out of their skin while representing Lincolnshire at the recent English Champion Club tournament.
Played over two days at the picturesque, but difficult, par 72 Stoneham golf course at Southampton, the Spalding trio of Simon Richardson, James Crampton and Mark Mitchell achieved Lincolnshire’s best finish since 1984.
More than 30 counties contested the 36-hole strokeplay competition, with each qualifying club consisting of three players – with the lowest combined scratch score winning and with all three scores to count.
Spalding came in 12 strokes behind eventual winners Walsall (Staffordshire) on 437, after Crampton went round in level par (73+71=144), Richardson (74+68=142) scored two under and Mark Mitchell (75+76=151) finished seven over.
Somerset’s Farrington (428) finished second, with Yorkshire’s Rotherham (431) in third spot. Coventry just pipped Spalding for fourth place – but the team and their travelling supporters were very pleased.
• THE Overton Trophy attracted a field of almost 130 entries, with Martin Deacon running out as winner.
His tally of 41 points was enough to win the Stableford event. He held off Wayne Wallace, Peter Clark, Roger Sanderson and Steve Phillips on 40.
• Other leading scores: 39pts – John Carrot; 38pts – Nick Bird, Peter Bingham, Rex Leveton, Stewart Barnett, Peter West and Wayne Flowers.
• LYNDA Double and David Bark saw off 28 mixed pairs to win Spalding’s Ben Smalley Trophy.
Their score of +5 secured victory in the bogey competition, ahead of Elaine and Chris Hancock and Hannah Thorold and Rod Hunt in second and third respectively (+3). Mags McArdle and Rod Filby were fourth with +2.
Completing the leaderboard, all with +1 scores, were Molly and Tim Davies, Maureen and Pete Orwell and Olive add Pete Gooderson.
• Result: Belton Park Mixed 5 Spalding Mixed 3 (Ray Harrison & Elizabeth Holbrook won; John Double & Jackie Bailey-Scott won; Bob Sutton & Norma Parker halved; Geoff Skinner & Elaine Harrison halved).
• Ladies’ section: SPALDING’S Paula Brown and Anne Ellis finished second at a Lincolnshire ladies’ veterans match at Gainsborough.
Liz Holbrook and Jean White also came in seventh, as 72 pairs competed in the four ball better ball game.
• SPALDING’S ladies competing for the Measures Vase – with Beverley Harpham running out the winner.
With the course in excellent condition, her score of 37 was enough for top spot on countback – and reduced her handicap to 29.
Margaret Brett was second on 37, with Jenny Wilson third on 36 points.
Tydd St Giles GC
Results: Men’s section: Autumn Open 2012 strokeplay competition: Overall – 1st Vinney Day 64 (nett); 2nd Andrew Smith 65 (nett); 3rd Adam Curtis 67 (nett). Division One – 1st Garry Fitzjohn 68; Derek Hodgson 68; 3rd Grant Rider 68. Division Two – John Young 69; 2nd Paul Strickle 70; 3rd John Gamble 71. Nearest the pin (4th hole) – Barrie Crockford; 8th – Malcolm Stead; 11th Keith Jakings. Longest drive (13th) – James Cundy; 16th – Paul Strickle; 18th (in 2) – Adam Thomas.
• Monthly Stableford (Division One) – 1st Steven Jeffries 38pts (ocb); 2nd Ian Edrupt 38pts (ocb); 3rd Paul Chaplain-Barton 38pts. Division Two – 1st Shaun Nobes 40pts; 2nd Craig Garner 40pts; 3rd Mark Boughen 38pts. Division Three – 1st Andy Ward 40pts; 2nd Chris Hicks 37pts (ocb); 3rd Barry Hill 37pts.
• Seniors’ section: Heacham Manor 5 Tydd St Giles 1 (Eddie Armstrong & Mike Parker won 1up; Russell Grant & Gerry Sherriff lost 6&5; Nole Bratt & Steve Hart lost 5&4; Dennis Savory & Tony Petch lost 2&1; Alf Bishop & David Truluck lost 5&3; Baz Smith (hole in one) & Trevor Sewell lost 3&1.
• Seniors’ Stableford Trophy: Division One – 1st Tom Jolly 37pts; 2nd Ron Colledge 31pts; 3rd Mike Parker 29pts. Division Two – 1st Richard Martin 37pts; 2nd Ged Taylor 36pts; 3rd Barrie Mutimer 36pts. Division Three – 1st Phil Martin 33pts; 2nd Richard Talbot 32pts; 3rd Ken Sherry 31pts. Division Four – 1st Derek Grant 36pts; 2nd Terry Cobb 30pts; 3rd Graham Saunders 24pts.
• Monthly medal (Division One) – 1st Steve Hart 85-11=74; 2nd Noel Bratt 84-10=74; 3rd Ron Colledge 83-9=74. Division Two – 1st John Ormiston 86-21=56; 2nd Baz Smith 88-17=71 (ocb); 3rd John Gamble 92-21=71. Division Three – Salvatore DiBella 92-24=68; 2nd Phil Martin 93-23=70; 3rd John Elliott 95-22=73. Division Four – 1st Anthony Petch 93-26=67; 2nd Stewart Walker 104- 28=76; 3rd Peter Neve 106-28 =78.
• Result: Tydd St Giles 3 Wensum Valley 3 (Eddie Armstrong & Baz Smith won 1up; Ken Parker & David Doubtfire won 8&7; Russell Doy & Tony Petch lost 2down; David Truluck & Steve Hart lost 3&2; Mike Parker & Noel Bratt won 1up; Dennis Savory & Kerbad Daboo lost 2&1.