SPALDING Golf Club’s title hopes in the South Lincs Scratch League suffered a major blow as they went down 4-2 against surprise package Belton Park.
The Surfleet course played host to the clash – and it looked good for the hosts early on with wins from James Crampton and Pete Clark (5&3) and Lloyd Chatham and Ollie Mitchell (5&4) giving them a 2-0 lead.
But Spalding failed to get anything out of the remaining games, losing all four on the last green to keep Belton’s 100 per cent record alive.
However, the second team still have a perfect winning record after beating South Kyme 6-0 on their own course.
Best performances came from Mark Cooley and Phil Tweddell, with a stunning 9&7 win, and Harry Hunt and Mark Jones – who cruised to a 7&6 success.
The other wins came from Noel O’Keeffe and Chris Moxen (3&2), Steve Camm and Hugo Kedzlie (3&1), Wayne Wallace and Ian Starr (3&2) and Mark Laud and Rob Kedzlie (2&1).
Both of Spalding’s scratch teams are sponsored by Dalehead Foods this season.
• No less than 75 competitors entered Spalding’s Massey Cup qualifying competition – with the top eight scores progressing to the matchplay knock-out stage played later in the season.
The in-form Peter West (19) topped the list, scoring 41 Stableford points and earning himself a handicap reduction to 17. Alan Boothby (23) was just off the pace in second with 39 points,
• Other qualifiers: 38pts – Chris Dring (19), Stephen Baxendale (15), Matthew Hendry (23); 37pts – Mark Mitchell (0), Geoff Camm (16) and Andrew Elms (17).
Both Lloyd Chatham and Rod Filby scored 37 points, but missed out on countback.
• Mark Mitchell and Andy Grimwood eased their way into the next round of the Daily Mail foursomes competition, winning at the second extra hole against a very competent duo from Kirton Holme.
Giving their opposition six strokes on their own course, Mitchell had to convert an 8 foot putt on the last to take the match into a play-off. They eventually won at the 20th hole with a concession.
• Spalding’s third team won their latest social match 4-2 against Stoke Rochford at the Surfleet course.
The winning pairs for Spalding were Pete Williams and Trevor Laud (5&4), Simon Rothwell and David Bergmann (5&3), Rob Sampson and Monty Brittain (2up) and Keith Moore paired and Doug Garfoot (6&4).
• Ladies’ section: A competitive Lincolnshire Ladies’ County Golf Association League ‘A’ match saw Spalding pick up a 2-2 draw at Woodhall Spa.
The pairings of Elizabeth Holbrook and Angela Roper (4&2) and Paula Brown and Anita Cross (1up) both took wins, while Lesley Williams and Angela Maltby (3&2) and Ruth Atkins and Avril Norton (6&4) were beaten.
• Pat West won the Kathie Craigs Salver for the best gross score at Lincolnshire ladies’ county golf senior championship at Waltham Windmill. She scored a fine 78.
• Spalding’s Winter Eclectic competition was won by Lesley Williams, with Elaine Hancock in second place for the Silver Division.
Debora Ward led the way in the Bronze Division, with Maureen Orwell just behind in second spot.
• 21 pairs entered Spalding’s Hardy Cup fourball better ball competition, which was won by Angela Roper and Elaine Hancock with 41 points.
Lesley Williams and Linda Double came second on 39 points.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding picked up an impressive 6-2 success over Woodhall Spa at Surfleet.
The winning pairs for Spalding were captain Colin Inkley and Roy White, Tony Holbrook and Peter Bridge, Ray Harrison and Malcolm Hole, John Reynolds and Phil Thorold and Ray Barnett and Ian Jones.
The teams of Dave McDermott and Bob Davies and John Tilling and Howard Greaves both halved their matches.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
DAVID Lord and Rob Newns were victorious in the Oundle Senior Pairs Open.
With a total of 59 pairs in the competition, they achieved a very creditable Stableford score of 43 points off 3/4 handicap – which was one shot ahead of their nearest rivals.
• Results: Men’s section: David Creek Trophy – 1st Jim Starbuck 38pts (ocb); 2nd Rob Newns 38; 3rd Eddie Wasey 37. Virgin Atlantic Cup qualifier – 1st Steve Sayer 42pts; 2nd Keith Lawrence 40 (ocb); 3rd Chris Davies 40. May Day Cup – 1st R Newns 42pts; 2nd Stuart Shinkin 41 (acb); 3rd Ian Weller 41.
• Seniors’ section: May Medal: Category one – 1st John Venters 67nett; 2nd Rob Newns 71. Cat two – 1st Bill Smith 70; 2nd Tom Penning 72. Cat three – 1st Stan Cleaver 69; 2nd Neil Sargeant 70.
• Result: Gedney Hill 4 Feltwell 2 (Doug Aitken & Neil Sargeant won 2&1, Bill Smith & Ron Walpole lost 1 down, Roy Britton & Don Hinshelwood won 4&2, Brian Cave & Stuart Field lost 4&2, Tom Melvin & Dave Spridgen won 4&3, Carol Plume & Malcolm Oliver won 6&4).
• Rabbits section: Gedney Hill 3.5 Kirton Holme 2.5 (Graham East & Lee Fisher won 4&3, Greg Walsh & Mo Parling halved, Peter Orbine & Neil Sargeant won 6&5, Bill Sharpe & Gary Moore lost 2&1, Paul Hanson & Chris Bennett lost 5&3, Stuart Sharp & Ray Wright won 4&3).
• Ladies’ section: May medal – 1st Maggie Bingham 78; 2nd Chris Bennett 79; 3rd Nicky Weller 84.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
BOTH Tydd’s ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams enjoyed success against Sutton Bridge in the South Lincolnshire Scratch League.
Tydd A played host to Bridge and won 5-1, with wins coming fron Paul Chaplain-Barton and Rod Drew (4&3), Lee Willis and John Tyler (5&4), Ady Bills and Ian Edrupt (2&1), Kevin Goude and Malcolm Stead (8&6) and Luke Rowell and Tom Brooks (5&4).
Andy Betts and Tim Hines were the only paring beaten, losing 2&1.
The Tydd B team were also victorious, as they saw off Sutton Bridge’s second string 4.5-1.5 on their own patch.
• Result: Paul Elsey & Phil Tilney won 1up, Dan Newell & Terry Pease halved, Keith Jakings & Del Murphy lost 2&1, Neil John & Dan Ball won 2&1, Garry Fitzjohn & Paul Amos won 9&8, Linc Gostic & Clive Barber won 3&2).
• Seniors’ section: Stableford voucher competition: Gold Division – 1st Noel Bratt 43pts; 2nd Mike Parker 40pts; 3rd Kenneth Parker 39pts. Silver Division – 1st Richard Martin 39pts; 2nd John Ormiston 37pts; 3rd Eddie Armstrong 35pts. Bronze Division – 1st Kenneth Sherry 35pts (ocb); 2nd Lee Newman 35pts (ocb); 3rd Salvatore Di Bella 35 pts.
• Result: Tydd St Giles 3.5 Kirton Holme 1.5 (Eddie Armstrong & Steve Hart won 4&3, Baz Smith & Ged Taylor lost 3&1, Russell Doy & Ken Parker won 2&1, David Truluck & Brian Gough won 5&3, Terry Sambridge & David Doubtfire halved).
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Ladies’ section – Sutton Bridge 3 Tydd St Giles 1 (Team: Carole Whitelam & Jane Rose, Ann Davis & Suzanne Larham, Jill McEwan & Fid Cropper, Peggy Ellis & Rebecca Lonslow). Sutton Bridge 3 Kirton Holme 1 (Jeannette McEwan & Linda Searle won 4&3, Jenny Wells & Jill McEwan lost 2&1, Ann Cross and Karen Gillett won 1Up, Suzanne Larham & Jane Rose won 2&1).
• Lady President’s Day – 1st Suzanne Larham 105–27=78; 2nd Karen Gillett 107–25=82; 3rd Chelsea Petty 113-27=86. Nearest to the pin – Betty Reeve.
• Seniors’ section: Sutton Bridge 2 Spalding 6 (Chris Shipp and Norman Davis won 8&6, Charlie Waling & Ken Burton lost 6&4, Roy Amos & Don Robinson lost 3 down, Ray Page & John Cross lost 3&2, Brian Bowell & Roger Williamson won 1up, Peter Wailes & Noel Clare lost 3&2, Richard Titchener & Peter North lost 5&3, Harold Shingleton & Sid Everitt lost 2 down). Middleton 6 Sutton Bridge 0 (Chris Shipp & Sid Everitt lost 4&3, Ray Page & Don Robinson lost 1 down, Peter Wailes & Noel Clare lost 3&2, Harold Shingleton & Roger Williamson lost 5&4, Roy Amos and John Cross lost 6&5, Charlie Waling & Brian Bowell lost 5&4).