New Spalding Golf Club skipper Neil Knighton teed-off his year in office at Surfleet with the annual Captain’s Drive In competition last week.
Conditions were poor for the newly-elected captain’s first act in charge, but some cracking scores were still posted in the Stableford event.
Nobody fared better than Simon Brand (19 handicap), who came out on top of the 143 entries with a superb score of 44 points.
Popular octogenarian Geoff Clubley (21) – who is still in good form – took an impressive second spot with 43 points.
Third place went to Mick Bell (24), on countback from Pete Williams (13), Raich Growdridge (10), James Carles (27) and Dan Hines (3) after all scored 41 points.
Other leading scores came from: 40pts – Ian Starr, Richard Woods; 39pts – Mark Cooley, Martin North, Barrie Hutson, Tom Reedman, Andy Warnes, Andy Grimwood, Graham Hutchings, John Thorpe and Rob Sampson.
The competition concluded with the incoming captains (all sections) driving off the first tee in the honoured tradition.
• The Gold Medal Trophy, a strokeplay competition limited to just this year’s monthly medal winners from both handicap categories, was won by the October medal winner Rod Filby (89-20=69).
In a nail-biting finish, he won on countback from Phil Packard (73-4=69) and Paul Green (85-16=69) after all shot a nett 69.
Other leading scores came from: Nett 70 – Calum Walker; 72 – James Crampton, Keith Hearne; 73 – Simon Richardson, Calum Lewis; 74 – Hugo Kedzlie; 75 – Gary Welsh.
• In the last inter-club social match of the season, Spalding enjoyed a convincing 5-0 home win against Rutland County Golf Club, with one game halved.
Winning pairs for the home team were Neil Knighton and Wayne Wallace (6&5), Geoff Camm and Mark Cooley (1up), Matt Hendry and Paul Benjamin (5&4), Roy White and Rod Hunt (2&1) and Russ Steels and Charlie Wallace (5&4).
Peter Bridge and Bob Pearson halved their game.
Ladies’ section: Ruth Atkins took the spoils in Spalding Golf Club’s October Stableford, finishing two points clear of the pack amid tough conditions.
After heavy overnight rain followed by blustery wind, the ladies’ section players were up against it at the Surfleet course.
It was Atkins who set the pace on 37 points, ahead of Chris Vickers in second.
She was one of two players on 35 points, beating third-placed Avril Norton on countback.
• The second round of the Groom Shield took place on a damp and foggy day.
This made the bogey competition very difficult for many players – but Maureen Orwell scored a very good plus two for first place, with Angela Roper second on +1.
Despite the conditions, half of the players go through to the next round.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
• Seniors’ section: Tydd St Giles 4 Sutton Bridge 2 (Baz Smith & Kerbad Daboo won 2&1, Tony Petch & David Truluck lost 3&2, Dennis Savory & Russell Doy won 6&4, Gerry Sherriff & Trevor Sewell won 2up, Noel Bratt & Mike Parker lost 3&2, Richard Martin & Steve Hart won 8&7).
• Seniors’ Stableford: Division One – 1st Kerbad Daboo 35pts; 2nd Dennis Savory 34pts; 3rd Tom Jolly 33pts. Division Two – 1st Russell Doy 38pts; 2nd Sid Haxell 36pts; 3rd Barrie Mutimer 34pts. Division Three – 1st Lee Newman 35pts; 2nd Richard Talbot 33pts (ocb); 3rd Anthony Petch 33pts. Division Four – 1st Derek Grant 31pts (ocb); 2nd David Boon 31pts; 3rd Stewart Walker 26pts.
• Men’s section: October Medal: Division One – Johnathon Tyler 70-7=63; 2nd Paul Elsey 75-11=64; 3rd Gavin Merrison 70-1=69. Division Two – 1st Ken North 82-14=68; 2nd Andy Hicks 81-13=68; 3rd Mark Boughen 89-18=71. Division Three – 1st Duncan Connabeer 95-28=67; 2nd Brendan Docking 93-21=72; 3rd James Young 97-23=74.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Ladies’ section: Autumn Cup – 1st Maggie Bingham 30pts; 2nd Nicky Weller 25pts; 3rd Ann Chick 23pts.