SIMON Gray produced a superb Stableford showing to take the top prize on Captain’s Day at Spalding Golf Club.
Andy Reedman’s competition escaped the predicted heavy rain and a record 186 men and 21 ladies plotted their way round the Surfleet course.
The coveted Captain’s Prize was won by 13 handicapper Gray with a superb 42pts, with Trevor Horrocks taking second spot on countback from Paul Coddington after both scored 41pts.
Other leading scores came from Tony Bray, 15-year-old Jezz Davidson and Mike Crampton (all 40pts) and Mark Cooley, Mark Dodds and Paul Johnson (all 39).
The ladies’ 9-hole competition was won by Tracy Siddle (19pts) from Margaret Barkway on countback from Chris Leggett, both scoring 17pts. Also a record 35 twos were scored on the day.
• The club pairing of Mark Mitchell and Andy Grimwood have won their way through the 6th round (last 64) of the Daily Mail National Foursomes competition after defeating a duo from Ely City 4&2 - despite giving them nine strokes.
Their next round opposition is Old Nene Golf and Country Club at their 9 hole course at Ramsey next month.
• The mixed team returned to winning ways in their latest social match after beating Peterborough Milton 5-2 with one game halved, at the Surfleet course.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Wayne Wallace and Hannah Thorold, Steve Leggett and Di West, Geoff Skinner and Lynda Double, Johnny Walker and Chris Leggett, and Neil West and Beryl Skinner. John Double and Elizabeth Holbrook halved their game.
• The junior section organised a Texas Scramble competition with each team comprising a junior, senior, lady and male player, with ten teams taking to the field.
Winning quartet was Ben Peppercorn, Wayne Wallace, Hannah Thorold and David Colwell with a score of nett 54.7 with Stephen Rothwell, Alan Roper, Sue Matthews and Russell Steels in second (56.2).
• Spalding 3rd team suffered their first home defeat of the season in their latest social match.
They lost 3-2 with one game halved against a strong low handicap Belton Park team on a wet and windy evening at Surfleet.
Winning Spalding pairs were Trevor Horrocks and Mike Murphy (1up) and Keith Moore and Stuart Parker (2up). Team captain Rob Sampson and vice Monty Brittain halved their game.
• Club member Peter Williams seems to be playing his best golf away from his home course.
After winning the Northampton County seniors open recently he followed it up by winning the Thorpe Wood seniors open, beating a field of 140 with a score of 40pts. A handicap reduction to 11 is probably on the way.
Seniors’ section: Spalding entertained Canwick Park last Monday and won 5-3.
Winning pairs for Spalding were captain Colin Inkley and Ron Sudbury, Shaun Gibson and Rob Prew, Cliff Edmondson and Bill Richardson, and Ian Lones and Malcolm Hole. Sid Chapman and Greg Bayliss and Pete Julien and Mike Browning halved their games.