SIMON Brand produced a storming final round to take Spalding Golf Club’s coveted Club Trophy by an impressive four shots.
Although he was three strokes adrift of the leader going into the last 18 holes, Brand added a nett 68 to his opening round of nett 69 to give him a 137 winning total.
It also earned him his second handicap reduction this month from 21 to 19.
The in-form Mark Mitchell claimed second place (71+70=141) on countback from Richard Laud (71+70=141) and Hugo Kedzlie (68+73=141), after the trio also shot an overall 141.
Other leading scores: 143 – Stephen Camm, Richard Woods, Alan Jackson, Miles Foden; 144 – David Inglis, Bryn Chappell; 146 – Nick Illingworth; 147 – Wayne Wallace; 148 – Peter Drew.
• Spalding’s final social match of the season was a convincing 5-1 success over Rutland County GC at the Surfleet course.
Club captain Keith Holland, partnered with seniors’ skipper Ray Harrison, led from the front as they won 3&1. Other wins came from Frank Bell and Albert Jacobs (2&1), Mike Murphy and Neil West (4&3), Bob Pearson and Ron Tilley (3&1) and Neil Knighton and Monty Brittain (2&1).
Gedney Hill GC
Seniors’ section: Gedney Hill’s seniors concluded their season with an entertaining 2-2 draw against Heacham Manor Golf Club.
After the match captain Carl Claxton presented a cheque for £754.50 to Richard Palmer, a Royal National Lifeboat Institute representative. The money, which will go to the Wells Next The Sea station, was raised through the Senior Captain’s Day and by the sponsorship of Claxton, Bob Townsend, Billy Sharpe and Tom Melvin playing some of the Norfolk and Lincolnshire coastal courses.
• Match – Gedney Hill 3 Old Nene 3 (Carl Claxton & Roy Britton won 6&4, Doug Aitken & Stuart Field lost 6&5, Carol Plume & Tom Burrows won 7&6, P Heathershaw & Ron Mountcastle lost 4&3, Peter Orbine & Malcolm Oliver won 1 up, Brian Cave & Don Hinshelwood lost 2&1).
• Singles Matchplay Competition 2011 – 1st Bob Duke, 2nd Peter Orbine.
• Ladies’ section: Dunelm Cup – 1st Marilyn Sayer 33pts; 2nd Chris Bennett 29pts; 3rd Nicky Weller 24pts.
• Mixed competitions: Upton Mixed Pairs – 1st Steve & Marilyn Sayer 45pts; 2nd Nick & Kim Markillie 42pts (ocb); 3rd David & Christine Lord 42pts.
Toft Hotel GC
AFTER months of competition, Toft’s Summer Pairs knockout competition finally came to an end – and it was Mike Paulson and David Parsonage who took the title.
Playing against Dave Whisker and Scott Freer, they went three up after five holes before being pegged back.
After that there was never more than one hole between the two teams, but after wayward drives from Whisker and Freer on the 38th hole, Parsonage had the luxury of two putts to win the match.
• Other results: Summer singles knockout – 1st James Joyce; runner-up Steve Gilbert. Summer doubles plate knockout – 1st James Delplanque & Simon Lawton; runners-up Matt Dick & Tim Fitzgerald. Summer singles plate knockout – 1st Wayne Catt; runner-up Paul Simmons. Winter pairs: Round One – 1st David Ellson & S Toms 50 (ocb); 2nd Ian Aspinall & Gavin Jones 50; 3rd B Collins & Keith Sims 49 (ocb); 4th Mike Paulson & Jim Clayton 49.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Seniors’ section: Ryston Park GC 5 Sutton Bridge Seniors 1 (Ray Page & Chris Shipp won 4&3, Peter Wailes & Harold Shingleton lost 1 down, Noel Clare & Ken Burton lost 1 down, Keith Robinson & Roger Williamson lost 3&2, Stan Poulton & Roy Fox lost 4&3, Peter North & Norman Davis lost 1 down).
Tydd St Giles GC
Men’s section: October Stableford: Division One – 1st Phil Tilney 38pts; 2nd Adrian Bills 37pts; 3rd Rod Drew 37pts. Division Two – 1st Keith Jakins 37pts; 2nd Alfie Cooper 36pts (ocb); 3rd Malcolm Pack 36pts. Division Three – 1st Garry Allen 41pts; 2nd Paul Seaman 40pts; 3rd Phil Boardman 37pts.
• Seniors’ section: Stableford Voucher competition: Gold Division – 1st Ken Parker 37pts; 2nd Mike Parker 36pts; 3rd Raymond Downing 35pts. Silver Division – 1st Barry Mutimer 37pts; 2nd Brian Gazzard 35pts; 3rd Roy Bodley 33pts. Bronze Division – 1st Anthony Petch 35pts; 2nd
Derek Grant 33pts; 3rd John Andrews 32pts.
• Match – Tydd Seniors 5.5 Feltwell GC Veterans 0.5 (Evan Kemp & Ken Parker won 1 up, Terry Sambridge & Ken Walker won 3&2, Mike Parker & David Truluck won 5&4, Gerry Sherriff & Paul Jackson won 2&1, Malcolm Perrott & Salvatore Di Bella halved, Baz Smith & Eddie Armstrong won 2up).