In-form Lawrence Haley got the better of a packed field to win Spalding Golf Club’s EGU London Pride Gold Medal qualifier at Surfleet.
Haley, who earned a handicap reduction to seven after the superb success, shot a gross 75 (nett 67) to take top spot on countback.
Squeezed into second place was Calum Lewis (86-19) after he also carded a nett 67, which again was good enough to chop his handicap by two to 17.
Mark Cooley (74-5=69) took third place ahead of a trio of players behind on nett scores of 70.
They were Geoff Clubley (91-21), Oliver Mitchell (71-2) and Lloyd Chatham (73-3), with Clubley losing one shot off his handicap.
Simon Ward, Lewis Wright, Mark Mitchell, Mike Crampton, Victor Davis and Mark Jones all returned solid scores of nett 71.
• In their first home mixed match of the season, Spalding won by 4 -3 with one game halved.
Winning pairs were Neil Knighton and Angela Roper (1up), Peter Bridge and Jenny Wilson (4&3), Steve Leggett and Millie Thorold (5&3) and Keith Williams and Lynda Double (6&5), while John Newcombe and Lesley Williams halved.
• Spalding men’s third team suffered a heavy defeat at Sandilands, with only John Camm and Stuart Parker halving. Despite some close matches, the home team collected the rest of the points.
• Ladies’ section: A competitive home friendly clash with rivals Boston West resulted in a draw for Spalding’s ladies.
In a close clash, the combinations of Angela Roper and Jennifer Wilson (3&1) and Phil Borst and Jean White (2 up) both won, but the pairings of Pam Smith and Carole Holland and Lesley Williams and Mags McArdle both lost.
• Linda Double saw off 25 other Spalding ladies to win the Temple Kingston bogey competition.
She won with a super score of +3 and shaved two shots from her handicap. Sue Dewar, Mary Gould and Jenny Wilson were tied for second on level par.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding’s senior side have suffered defeats in their two most recent matches. Oundle beat them 5-3 at Surfleet, before they suffered a heavy 6.5-1.5 loss at King’s Lynn
• Results: April Stableford: 1st Roger Brown 39pts; 2nd Ron Sudbury 37pts; 3rd Howard Price 36pts (ocb): 4th Roger Billingsley 36pts. Texas Scramble (April 23): 1st Ron Rolf, Peter Jullien and Keith Brown 64.1; 2nd Tony Holbrook, Trevor Wright & Dave Harvey 66; 3rd John Patton, Malcolm Hole and Roy Burgess 66.4.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Men’s section: A team fixture: Greetham Valley2.5 Tydd 3.5 (Andy Betts & Ady Bills halved, Leigh Chapman & Luke Stannard won 3&2, Lee Willis & John Tyler lost 5&4, Kevin Goude & Tom Brooks won 4&2, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Tim Hines lost 1 down, Luke Rowell & Rod Drew won 2up). B team fixture – Tydd St Giles 5 Thorney Lakes 1 (Keith Jakings & Ian Edrupt won 4&3, Phil Tilney & Paul Elsey lost 1 down, Garry Fitzjohn & Grant Rider won 5&4, Malcolm Stead & Dean Wright won 5&4, Neil John & Dan Ball won 2&1, Linc Gostic & Clive Barber won 1up.
• Stableford Pairs: 1st Mark Whittaker & Johnathon Housley-Stott 46pts; 2nd Andy Betts & Malcolm Stead 41pts (ocb); 3rd Derek Hodgson & John Durant 41pts.
• Seniors’ section: Stableford Voucher competition: Division One – 1st Ron Colledge 38pts; 2nd Trevor Sewell 34 pts; 3rd David Doubtfire 31pts. Division Two – 1st Bob Mann 37 pts; 2nd Raymond Downing 33pts; 3rd Roger Lancaster 32pts. Division Three – 1st John Gamble 35pts; 2nd Den Wilson 32pts; 3rd Dvid Morris 31pts. Division Four – 1st Derek Grant 40pts; 2nd Brian Gazzard 35pts, 3rd Peter Neve 33pts.
• Result: South Kyme 4 Tydd St Giles 2 (Steve Hart & David Truluck lost 4&3, Noel Bratt & Phil Martin lost 1 down, Gerry Sherriff & Paul Jackson halved, Dennis Savory & Terry Sambridge lost 5&3, Mike Parker & Ged Taylor halved Kerbad Daboo & Baz Smith won 3&2).
• Result: RAF Marham 4.5 Tydd St Giles 1.5 (Steve Hart & Paul Jackson lost 7&6, Noel Bratt & Salvatore DiBella lost 2 down, Ken Parker & Richard Martin halved, Dennis Savory & Phil Martin lost 1 down, Lee Smith & Tony Petch lost 2&1, Trevor Sewell & Baz Smith won 3&1).
• Seniors’ Champion of Champions 2012 winners: Division One – Mick Parker. Division Two – John Elliott. Division Three – Derrick Grant.
• Seniors’ Treble 6s: 1st Brian Shales, Trevor Hume & Brian Skinner 81pts; 2nd David Doubtfire, Geof Sturdy & Carl Brodie 80 pts.