GARY Palmer produced a superb Stableford showing to take the top prize at a rain-hit Captain’s Day at Spalding Golf Club.
Keith Holland’s competition was marred by torrential rain until well after midday, but despite the conditions nearly 170 golfers managed to battle their way round the Surfleet course.
The coveted Captain’s Prize was won by four-handicapper Palmer with a cracking 41 points, with Geoff Skinner taking second spot on countback from Mark Mitchell after both scored 39 points.
Fourth place went to Oliver Mitchell also on countback from Ron Tilley, with both carding 38pts.
Meanwhile, the ‘Captain Guest’ prize was won by Peter Clark with 35 points, ahead of Rod Filby (34pts) and Peter Berridge (33pts) in second and third spots respectively.
The ladies’ nine hole competition was won by Rowena Hughes with a stunning 21 points from Norma Parker (17pts) and Mags McArdle (16pts), while the nearest the pin prizes were won by Neil Clarke and Geoff Camm.
Various raffles on the day raised over £440 for the Prostate Cancer Charity and the prize giving took place in a packed clubhouse.
• SPALDING took the spoils 3-2 in social match against Boston GC at the Surfleet course, with one game halved.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Graham Chamberlain and Michael Crampton, John Patton and Barry Simmonite and David Tasker and Andrew Elms, while Noel O’Keeffe and Nick Illingworth halved.
• THE men’s third team had mixed fortunes in their two social matches played recently, winning 4.5-1.5 at home against Sleaford GC before losing heavily 5-1 at Boston GC.
Against Sleaford, young Archie Davies was the star of the evening with three birdies and holing a few long putts, partnered by his father Tim in a 4&3 win.
The other winning pairs were Rod Filby and Richard Woods (3&2) and Rob and Hugo Kedzlie (3&2), while Mick Bell and Graham Rudkin, Jim West and John Beba and Kevin Siddle and Cliff Harrison all halved their games.
It was a different story on a dull, cloudy evening at Boston, who again proved to be a tough side to beat.
The one bright spot for Spalding was a 20 yard raking putt drained on the last hole by Rod Filby, ably supported by Terry Thorpe for the only win for Spalding.
• Ladies’ section: IT was tight at the top of the Greta David Cup as two ladies tied at the top.
On an overcast but dry day, Tracy Siddle and Mo Wallace both scored 38 Stableford points to finished ahead of the 48 other ladies taking part.
But there had to be a winner, and it was Siddle who took the title on countback. Both ladies earned a handicap reduction of one shot.
Dianne Platt completed the leaderboard in third place with 37 points.
• SPALDING ladies lost 5-1 away to Peterborough Milton, with their only win coming from Diane Sanderson and Jackie Bailey-Scott.
Despite holing her third shot on the par five 10th hole, vice-captain Norma Parker and captain Eileen Bridge narrowly lost.
Other pairings were Anne Ellis and Noreen Tointon, Janet Earth and Sue Dewar, Mags McArdle and Elaine Harrison and Jenny Pipe and Beryl Skinner.
Tydd St Giles GC
Results: Men’s section: July Medal competition, Division One – 1st Link Gostic 78-10-68; 2nd Clive Barber 80-11-69; 3rd Luke Rowell 80-11-70. Division Two – 1st Mark Boughen 86-18-68; 2nd Andy Hicks 85-15-70; 3rd Derek Hodgson 85-14-71. Division Three – 1st Phil Boardman 93-24-69; 2nd Barry Hill 91-21-70; 3rd John Durant 96-24-72.
• Seniors’ section: Stableford Voucher competition, gold division – 1st Steven Horton 37pts (ocb); 2nd Tom Jolly 37pts (ocb); 3rd Gerry Sherriff 37pts. Silver division – Ken Walker 40pts; 2nd Phil Martin 35pts; 3rd Roy Bodley 34pts. Bronze division – 1st Tony Illsey 41pts; 2nd Salvatore Di Bella 39pts, 3rd Colin Smart 36 pts.
• South Lincolnshire Scratch League: South Kyme 4.5 Tydd St Giles A 1.5 (Malcolm Stead & Link Gostic lost 2 down, Liam Chapman & Josh Chaplain-Barton lost 7&5, Tom Brooks & Tim Hines halved, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Rod Drew lost 4&2, Blue Revell & Luke Rowell lost 3&2, Kevin Goude & Leigh Chapman won 1up.
• Seniors’ away match: Richmond Park GC 4.5 Tydd St Giles 1.5 (Evan Kemp & Baz Smith halved, Brian Newby & Ken Parker lost 2&1, Mike Parker & Paul Jackson lost 1 down, Phil Whitehead & Eddie Armstrong won 3&1, Terry Sambridge & Brian Gough lost 1 down, Kerbad Daboo & Mike Brown lost 5&4).
• Seniors Stableford Trophy: Gold division – 1st Tom Jolly 41pts; 2nd Phil Whitehead 38pts; 3rd Ken Parker 38pts. Silver division – 1st John Ormiston 33pts (ocb); 2nd Stuart Lacey 33pts; 3rd Thomas Brewer 31pts. Bronze division – 1st Dave Morris 36pts; 2nd Brian Knights 35pts; 3rd Alan Henderson 33pts.
Sutton Bridge GC
Results: Seniors’ section: Sutton Bridge OBs 2.5 March 3.5 (Chris Shipp & Noel Clare won 2&1, Roy Fox & Don Robinson won 5&4, Sid Everitt & Steve Saffer lost 3&2, Richard Titchener & John Cross halved, Norman Davis & Roger Williamson lost 3&1, Harold Shingleton & Peter North lost 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: League match – Tydd St Giles 3.5 Sutton Bridge 0.5 (Team: Margaret Fox & Linda Searle, Janet Groves & Jenny Wells, Brenda Bell & Ann Cross, Ann Davis & Wendy Fenner). Ladies’ RAF Day – 1st Jeannette McEwan +2 (ocb); 2nd Margaret Fox +2; 3rd Ann Cross Par; 4th Ann Davis -1.
Gedney Hill GC
Results: Monksview Mixed Pairs – 1st Rob Newns & Christine Lord 59.6 nett; 2nd Steve Sayer & Dianne Moore 61.4; 3rd Ian Weller & Chris Bennett 64.
• Pairs Open: 1st Dean Wright and Grant Rider 50pts; 2nd Chris Davies and Liam Gavaghan 49pts; 3rd Andrew Collington and Jack Collington 48pts.
• Ladies’ section: Fenland Lady Open (visitors) - 1st Elizabeth Sweetnam (Leighton Buzzard Golf Club) 35pts; 2nd Sylvia Illesley (Tydd St Giles GC) 33 pts; 3rd Petra Meir (Tydd St Giles GC) 30pts. Gedney Hill members – 1st Shirley Senior 33pts; 2nd Ann Chick 30pts; 3rd Janet Davis 29pts.