Spalding Golf Club’s top team have confirmed their runners-up position in Division One of the South Lincs Scratch League in emphatic style.
SPALDING Golf Club’s top team have confirmed their runners-up position in Division One of the South Lincs Scratch League in emphatic style.
A convincing 5.5-0.5 home win against Burghley Park – which also condemned the Stamford team to relegation to the second division – was enough to wrap up second spot.
With one match still to play, Spalding cannot now be caught – although champions-elect Belton Park are also beyond their reach.
The home team were able to field a much stronger team than of late and the score at Surfleet reflected that.
Their winning pairs were Steve Wade and Andy Grimwood (9&7), Adam Davey and Andy Warnes (5&4), Lloyd Chatham and Ollie Mitchell (4&2), Simon Richardson and Jason Houghton (2&1) and James Crampton and Mark Mitchell (1up).
Keith Hearne and Mal Wray halved their game.
Meanwhile, the second team – with the league title already under their belt – lost their 100 per cent winning record after going down 4-2 away at Toft in their last match of the season.
Spalding’s winning pairs were Mark Cooley and Richard Laud (3&2) and Robert and Hugo Kedzlie (2&1).
Both teams are sponsored this year by Dalehead Foods of Spalding.
• THE mixed team’s winning run came to an end as they lost their latest social match 5-3 away at Peterborough Milton.
Winning pairs for the visitors were the captains Andy Reedman and Norma Parker (2&1), Lawrie Haley and Lynda Double (2&1) and Sandy Watson and Carole Holland (3&1).
• SPALDING’S junior section club championship competition was played recently, with both gross and nett category winners decided.
Harry Hunt was the gross section winner on countback from Josh Parkin, after both carded an 82. In third spot was Archie Davies (84), while Calum Lewis was fourth with 88.
Matilde Kedzlie (90-21=69) was the nett section winner, again on countback from Calum Lewis (88-19=69).
Molly Davies (106-36=70) was third ahead of Josh Parkin (82-11=71) in fourth place with a nett 71.
• The men’s third team lost their latest social match 3.5-2.5 at Seacroft’s superb Skegness course.
The seasiders gained revenge by reversing the score by which they lost at Surfleet last month.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Rod Filby and Alan Jackson (3&2), which included three birdies, and Andy Cunnington and Nick Edwards (7&6), which included five birdies. Dave Fitter and Mike Murphy halved their game.
• SPALDING have got their hands on the Harold Ireland Trophy after beating Woodhall Spa in the club’s oldest social fixture.
First played in 1949, the match was contested for the 127th time this year, with Spalding running out 8-4 winners at their Surfleet course.
That ensures they regain the trophy until at least the spring of next year.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Results: President’s Day: Overall winner – Chris Davies 46pts. Men’s winner – Andy Davies 44pts. Senior’s winner – Mick Page 38pts. Ladies’ winner – Chris Bennett 44pts. Juniors winner – Joseph Timms 41pts.
• Men’s section: Gedney Hill Football Club Trophy – 1st Roy Bennett 46pts; 2nd Graham Pollard 42pts (ocb); 3rd Eddie Grange 42pts. August Medal – 1st Stuart Sharp 61nett; 2nd Pete Vinter 66; 3rd Ashley Anthony 71.
• Seniors’ section: Club Championship: Best Gross – 1st David Lord 80; 2nd Rob Newns 81. Best Nett – 1st Bob Townsend 68, 2nd Tom Penning 70.
• Match result: Martin Moor 5 Gedney Hill 1 (David Lord & Don Hinshelwood lost 4&3; Roy Britton & Len Kempster lost 1 down; Bob Townsend & Bill Smith halved; Rob Newns & Neil Sargeant lost 2 down; Keith Cooper & Bill Sharpe lost 1 down; Bob Duke & Peter Orbine halved).
• Ladies’ section: Golden Oldies – 1st Ann Chick 31pts (ocb); 2nd Janet Davis 31pts; 3rd Roz Upton 24pts.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Ladies’ section: Suttpn Bridge Ladies 4 King’s Lynn 0 (Carole Whitelam & Margaret Fox won 2&1; Linda Searle & Brenda Barton won 2&1; Karen Gillett & Betty Reeve won 3&2; Jenny Wells & Ann Cross won 4&3).
• Dolly Eyre Salver – 1st Jeannette McEwan 33pts; 2nd Jenny Wells 30pts; 3rd Suzanne Aitken 28pts.
• Men’s section: Boston 4.5 Sutton Bridge B 1.5 (Robin Hotson & John Myles lost 4&3; Geoff Hunt & Stuart Thorpe won 2&1; Sam Shippey & Andy Maxey lost 5& 4; John Essam & Ralph Grimes lost 4&3; Phil Gilbert & Steen Catlow lost 4&3; Geoff Coombs & Pat Land halved).
• Seniors’ section: Sutton Bridge 3.5 Feltwell 2.5 (Chris Shipp & Roy Fox won 4&2; Harold Shingleton & Roger Williamson lost 5&4; Stan Poulton & Noel Clare won 4&3; David Matthews & Peter Wailes halved; Richard Morton & Don Robinson won 2&1; Ray Page & Steve Saffer lost 6&5).
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
Results: Men’s section: South Lincolnshire Scratch League – Tydd 5 Belton Woods 1 (Tim Hines & Tom Brooks won 4&3; Leigh Chapman & Ady Bills won 4&2; Lee Willis & John Tyler won 2&1; Paul Chaplain-Barton & Andy Betts lost 5&4; Kevin Goude & Malcolm Stead won 4&3; Luke Rowell & Rod Drew won 3&2). Second team result – Thorney Lakes 4 Tydd 2.
• Seniors’ section: Result – Tydd St Giles 4.5 Ryston Park 1.5 (Eddie Armstrong & Tony Petch won 4&3; Ken Parker & Brian Newby won 3&2; Mike Parker & Kerbad Daboo won 1up; David Truluck & Gerry Sherriff lost 1 down; David Doubtfire & Trevor Sewell halved; Baz Smith & Steve Hart won 1up).