Ken Murray saw off 136 others to clinch Spalding Golf Club’s Captain’s Drive In competition with a superb score of 43 Stableford points.
The penultimate event of the season at Spalding, it was also the first official day of duty for the newly-elected club captain Peter Bridge.
Murray, who plays off a 17 handicap, was on sensational form to edge Kevin Siddle (16) in second place on 42 points.
Jack Sirrell (11) claimed third spot with 41 points, ahead of Ron Tilley (15) and Mark Jones (9) – who completed the leaderboard with 40 points.
Other leading scores came from: 39pts – Jim Robertson; 38pts – Peter West; 37pts – Roger Climo, Chris Moxon, Calum Lewis; 36pts – John Crampton, Harry Hunt, Andy Rafferty, Michael Sampson, Phil Packard, Lewis Wright and Phil Wakefield.
The competition concluded with incoming Spalding captain Bridge driving off the first tee in the honoured tradition, thus starting his year of office at the Surfleet club.
• Keith Lungley (17 handicap) is now the proud holder of the Massey Cup after defeating Mark Mitchell (0) in another high quality matchplay final.
It was always going to be a challenge for Mitchell, giving Lungley almost a shot a hole.
But what a match it was, going down to the wire with an incredible finale. Mitchell was 1up at the turn and further wins at 10 and 11 extended that to 3up after 13.
Lungley hit back with pars at 14 and 15 and a nett par at 16 for a half, which left him one down with two holes to play.
Then, in a remarkable finish, Lungley won the last two holes with a three (nett eagle two) at both holes to which Mitchell replied with two birdie threes.
But it was still not enough to stop Lungley from lifting the trophy.
• The Gold Medal Trophy, a strokeplay competition limited to this year’s monthly medal winners from both handicap categories, was won by the October medal winner Robin Roffe (86-17=69) with a nett 69.
Chris Moxon (79-6=73) was second with a nett 73 and Mark Dodds (85-8=77) came in just behind in third spot with a nett 77.
Completing the leaderboard were Phil Packard (78) in fourth, ahead of Tony Bray and Peter West in joint fifth on 79.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
John Gamble is toasting a unique treble at Tydd St Giles Golf Club.
The senior section member is celebrating his third victory on the trot in the club’s Rabbits Cup.
His super score of nett 73 was three better than his nearest rival Den Wilson with (nett 76), with Ken Sherry completing the leader board in third with a nett 77.
• Men’s section: Monthly Medal: Division One: 1st Paul Chaplain-Barton 69-4=65; 2nd Gavin Merrison 68-1=67; 3rd Steven Jeffries 79-12=67. Division Two: 1st Malcolm Pack 84-16=68; 2nd Steve Slim 83-13=70; 3rd ocb Brendon Docking 89-18=71. Division Three: 1st Mick Tiller 90-21=69; 2nd Karl Barker 89-19=70; 3rd Paul Brown 91-20=71.
• Seniors’ section: Seniors Stableford voucher competition: Division One: 1st Tom Jolly 42pts, 2nd David Doubtfire 37pts (ocb); 3rd Mike Parker 37pts. Division Two: 1st Bob Mann 39pts; 2nd Russell Doy 36pts (ocb); 3rd Richard Ward 36pts, Division Three: 1st Brian Skinner 36pts; 2nd Anthony Petch 35pts; 3rd Lee Newman 33pts. Division Four: 1st Kenneth Sherry 36pts; 2nd Alec Harding 35pts; 3rd Terry Cobb 32pts.
• Seniors’ scratch competition: 1st Ken Parker 84 (gross); 2nd Noel Bratt 85; 3rd Gerry Sherriff 88.
• Rabbits Cup: 1st John Gamble 73 (nett); 2nd Den Wilson 76 (net); 3rd Ken Sherry 77 (nett).
GEDNEY HILL GOLF CLUB
• Men’s section: Spalding Foods Trophy: 1st Rob Newns 38pts; 2nd Steve Sayer 37(ocb); 3rd Chris Davies 37.
• Seniors’ section: John Parson’s Shield: 1st Tom Penning 46pts; 2nd Neil Sargeant 41; 3rd Jack Pickering 40(ocb).
• October Medal: Cat 1 – 1st Rob Newns 70net; 2nd Bob Townsend 76. Cat 2 – 1st Neil Sargeant 74net; 2nd Carol Plume 78. Cat 3 – 1st Don Hinshelwood 64net; 2nd Carl Claxton 75.
• Result: Gedney Hill 3.5 Heacham Manor 2.5 (Leonard Kempster & Peter Orbine won 2&1; Tom Melvin & Dave Spridgen lost 2 down; Neil Sargeant & Tom Penning halved; Wally Lawes & Don Hinshelwood lost 2 down; Bill Smith & Carl Claxton won 2&1; Noel Delaney & Brian Cave won 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: Centenary Bowl: 1st Nicky Weller 28pts; 2nd Maggie Bingham 27; 3rd Ann Chick 26.
• October medal: 1st Nicky Weller 79net; 2nd Marilyn Sayer 80; 3rd Janet Davis 82(acb).