MONTY Brittain took the spoils in Spalding Golf Club’s much coveted President’s Putter competition after beating a field of over 150 entries to win by two shots.
He carded a superb nett 65 (87-22=65) to finish ahead of Les Mitchell (88-21=67) in second place with a nett 67. Both players earned a two stroke handicap reduction for their efforts.
Mark Dodds (80-11=69) came third on countback from Stephen Camm (77-8=69), Lester Pybus (90-21=69) and Harry Hunt (80-11=69) after all scored a nett 69.
Completing the leaderboard were Ben Blom, Phil Packard, Terry Thorpe, Paul Edgley and Wayne Wallace on nett 70.
• Spalding’s first team had a good 4-2 away win at Blankney GC in their latest South Lincs scratch league match.
With the teams just above them in the league table having yet to visit the Surfleet course, league honours are still within their grasp. Winning pairs for Spalding were Gavin Merrison and Lloyd Chatham (4&2), Mark and Ollie Mitchell (3&2), Dan Hines and Chas Lacey (3&2) and Richard Laud and Steve Wade (3&2).
• Only 26 golfers entered the mixed extra Stableford competition at the weekend – but quality not quantity was the order of the day.
Another Kedzlie was in sparkling form, with ten-year-old Matilde Kedzlie (twin sister of Hugo) storming to victory with 46 Stableford points.
That resulted in a handicap reduction of five strokes (34 to 29) for the talented youngster.
Chas Lacey was second with 40 points, with Robert Dunmore just pipping Andy Grimwood for third spot after both scored 37 points.
The highlight of the day saw Jason Houghton (seven handicap) score a hole-in-one at the par three 16th hole, but he was just off the leaderboard.
• Spalding’s third team completely overwhelmed Sandilands GC (Sutton-on-Sea) 6-0 in their latest social match at the Surfleet course.
On a really hot afternoon, the best performances came from John Taylor and Brian Naylor (6&5), Malcolm George and Robin Roffe (5&4) and Chris Bettinson and Andy Elms (3&2).
Ladies’ section: In the Coronation Cup Stableford competition, Sue Grimwood took first place with 39 points and reduced her handicap by one to 30.
In second place was Barbara Newcombe with 38 points and she also reduced her handicap by one to 18.
• Spalding’s second league team kept up their fine performance with a 2-2 draw at home to Burghley Park.
Result: Gerry Barnett & Norma Parker lost 3&2; Anita Cross & Avril Norton won 1up; Anne Ellis & Barbar Newcombe won 2up; Mo Wallace & Phyl Borst lost 3&2.
• Spalding halved a friendly home match against Boston West.
Result: Norma Parker and Janet Davies won 2&1; Della Walker & Chris Leggett lost 1 down; Ruth Atkins & Mary Ellis won 3&2; Sue Watson & Chris Vivkers lost 3&2.
Gedney Hill GC
Results: Men’s section: Wednesday night nine-hole competition – 1st Jim Starbuck 22pts (ocb); 2nd Phil Davies 22pts; 3rd Pete Vinter 22pts.
• Seniors’ section: Old Nene 3.5 Gedney Hill 2.5 (Doug Aitken & Malcolm Oliver halved; Bill Sharpe & Stuart Field lost 1 down; Bob Townsend lost 5&4; Brian Cave & David Hyams won 2 up; Wally Lawes & Dave Spridgen won 4&3; Dick Upton & Phil Davis lost 3 & 2).
• Open competition: Gedney Hill Am-Am – 1st Ian Weller, Nicky Weller, Andy Davies & Steve Sayer 100pts; 2nd Greg Walsh, Lee Fisher, Graham East, Darren East 98pts; 3rd Grant Rider, Dean Wright, Luke Wright & Ray Wright 96pts. Nearest the pins – 3rd Tom Melvin; 4th Brian Cave; 11th Mick Staite; 12th Eddie Wasey.
Sutton Bridge GC
Results: Seniors’ section: Boston GC 5 Sutton Bridge OBs 3 (Ray Page & Sid Everitt lost 3&1; Norman Davis & Stan Poulton lost 2 down; Peter Wailes & Don Robinson lost 4&3; Roy Amos & Steve Saffer won 3&1; Harold Shingleton & Noel Clare won 1 up; John Cropper & John Cross lost 1 down; Tony Town & Colin Ess lost 7&6; Keith Robinson & Roger Williamson won 1 up). Norman Davis Niblick: First leg (every hole to count, Myhill scoring system) – Tydd St Giles 19 Sutton Bridge OBs 16 (Ray Page & Andy Parks lost by 4; Chris Shipp & John Cropper lost by 3; Ralph Harding & Stan Poulton lost by 2; Peter Wailes and Sid Everitt won by three; Keith Robinson & Noel Clare lost by 3; Ken Green & Richard Titchener lost by 7).
• Ladies’ Cup – 1st Karen Gillett 39pts; 2nd Linda Searle 35pts; 3rd Jeannette McEwan 33pts.
• Mixed fixtures: Ramsey 5.5 Sutton Bridge 0.5 (SB team – Barry Irwin & Linda Searle; Tony & Sue Town; John & Ann Cross; John Cropper & Carole Whitelam; Norman & Ann Davis; John & Janet Groves).
• Vice Captain’s Day – 1st B Harris 41pts; 2nd N Clare 40pts (ocb); 3rd R Grimes 40pts; 4th J Walker 39pts. Nearest to pin (2nd/11th) – R Grimes. Nearest to pin (6th/15th) – MJ Bell.
Toft Hotel GC
Men’s section: South Lincolnshire League matches – Toft 3.5 Belton Woods 2.5 (James Dair & Nick Welsh halved; Emile Van Der Merwe & Adam Freear won 8&6; Nick Garland & Ian Mitchell won 4&3; Scott Freear & Alan Barbes won 3&1; S Stubbley & James Delplanque lost 1 down; Chris Magill & Graham Burns lost 5&4). Belton Woods 5 Toft B 1 (Stuart Parker & Les Lawrence lost 1 down; Alan Smith & Robert Creasey lost 3&2; Harry Wild & Ian Moore lost 6&4; Richard Smith & Paul Taylor lost 5&3; Simon Wall & James Joyce lost 1 down; Mick Bates & Graham Moore won 6&4).
• Saturday Stableford – 1st Malcolm Webb 39pts; 2nd Keith Simms 38pts (ocb); 3rd R Smith 38pts.
• Midweek medal – 1st Nick Garland nett 69; 2nd Steven Pacey nett 71.