ONLY nine of the 131 players managed par or better as Spalding Golf Club’s men’s section staged their first competition of the year.
The maiden monthly medal got the season under way – and after playing off the forward yellow tees throughout the winter months, moving back to the competition tees was certainly a shock to the system for most of the players.
Keith Hearne (2 handicap) was certainly an exception to that rule, shooting a superb gross 67, nett 65, which included seven birdies, nine pars and two bogeys to take the honours (both nett and gross prizes) in the 0-14 handicap category.
Hearne’s heroics earned himself a handicap reduction to one.
In second place, four strokes back, was Steve Rogers (14) with a nett 69 and Mark Jones (8) took third spot with a nett 70.
Other leading scores in this category were: 71 – Josh Parkin, Ray Barnett; 72 – Nick Illingworth; 73 – Archie Davies, Phil Tweddell, Bob Pearson, Jim Robertson and Oliver Mitchell.
Stuart Parker (15) won the 15-28 handicap category with a nett 68, ahead of 25 handicapper Peter West (nett 70) in second and Stuart Armstrong (15) in third place, with a nett 72. Other leading scores came from Kevin Bellars (17), Stephen Baxendale (16) and Paul Green (21), all on nett 71.
Spalding skipper Andy Reedman and his vice-captain Neil Knighton are both looking forward to the new playing season, which includes a full programme of competitions and social events for all members.
• Spalding ladies’ first Stableford competition of the season was was won by Dina Reedman with 39 points.
Paula Brown came home second with 35 points, with Millie Thorold third on 34.
As a result, Reedman had her handicap cut by one stroke from 20 to 19.
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Results: Men’s section: March Medal – 1st Stuart Sharpe 62nett; 2nd John George 66; 3rd Steve Carter 70.
• Premier Supplies Trophy – 1st David Lord 64 nett; 2nd Chris Davies 67; 3rd Rob Newns 69.
• Seniors’ section: Gedney Hill 4.5 Eagles 1.5 (Doug Aitken & Don Hinshelwood won 5&4; Roy Britton & Richard Senior lost 2&1; Bill Smith & Dave Spridgen halved; Noel Delaney & Terry Grantham won 2&1; Tom Penning & Malcolm Oliver won 1 up; Carl Claxton & Neil Sargeant won 4&3).
• Spring Affair (with ladies’ section) – 1st Maggie Bingham, David Lord & Ron Walpole; 2nd Christine Lord, Bob Townsend & Neil Sargeant; 3rd Ann Chick, Rob Newns & Richard Senior.
• Ladies’ section’s Ruby Pell – 1st Nicky Weller 34pts; 2nd Kim Markillie 33; 3rd Ann Chick 25.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
Results: Men’ section: Monthly Medal (Division One) – 1st Andy Rowell 67; 2nd Ady Bills 69 (ocb); 3rd Leigh Chapman 69. Division Two – 1st Julian Davie 63; 2nd Jamie Gollands 66; 3rd Terry Pease 67. Division Three – 1st Johnathon Housley-Stott 67; 2nd Trevor Sewell 68; 3rd Tim Murphy 69.