IT’S a family affair at the halfway stage of Spalding Golf Club’s Lincolnshire Free Press Trophy with Hugo and Robert Kedzlie leading the way.
The first 18 of the 36 hole individual strokeplay competition was played last weekend in very windy conditions.
Ten-year-old Hugo (78-12=66), who now plays off an 11 handicap, holds a four stroke lead after a superb nett 66, with his father Robert (76-6=70) carding a nett 70 for second place.
Charlie Wallace (86-15=71) claimed third spot and will make up the leading trio going head to head in the final round in early September. Other leading scores, and certainly within striking distance are: nett 72 – Harry Hunt, Trevor Laud, Mark Cooley, Jim West, Gary Palmer, Pete Williams; nett 74 – defending champion Wayne Wallace, James Crampton; nett 76 – Alan Roper, Archie Davies and Phil Packard.
• Spalding’s top scratch team returned to winning ways by defeating Boston GC 4-2 at the Surfleet course.
Winning pairs for Spalding were Steve Wade and Richard Laud (3&2), Mal Wray and Keith Hearne (2&1) and Andy Grimwood and Adam Davey (1up). Both Gary Palmer and Chris Hancock and Oliver Mitchell and Gavin Merrison halved their games.
However, the second team went down by the same score in a difficult away match at Burghley Park.
Phil Tweddell and Mark Cooley (3&2) and Noel O’Keeffe and Nick Illingworth (1up) were the winning pairs for Spalding.
• Shaun Gibson (17 handicap) achieved one of his golfing ambitions last week.
He shot a hole-in-one on the 155 yard par three ninth hole at Surfleet.
Along with playing partner Rob Prew he holed out with a six iron which helped them ease into the third round of the Holmes Trophy knock out competition. Terry Carter and Will Halgarth were on the receiving end.
• Despite the rain, the latest Bank Holiday Texas scramble was very well attended with 26 teams of four taking to the field.
The winning quartet was Millie and Hannah Thorold, Andy Grimwood and Mark Laud with a nett 52.625.
Just off the pace in second place was team Davies, consisting of Tim, Janet, Archie and Molly Davies. Charlie and Wayne Wallace, Mike Murphy and Albert Jacobs were third.
Tydd St Giles GC
HOME player Tony Reed took the spoils at Tydd St Giles’ 2011 Spring Open event.
He saw off 84 competitors from around the region at the individual Stableford competition, recording a great score of 43 points in windy conditions.
Tydd locked out the top three places, with Paul Seaman (40 points) taking second and Paul Slator (39 points) third.
• Results: South Lincolnshire Scratch League - Gedney 4 Tydd 2 (Link Gostic & Ian Edrupt won 5&4, Lee Willis& Andy Betts won 5&4, Paul Chaplain-Barton & Josh Chaplain-Barton lost 7&5, Tom Brooks &Tim Hines lost 4&2, Luke Rowell & Malcolm Stead lost 4&2, Clive Barber & Terry Alcock lost 3&2).
• Senior section: Kirton Holme 4 Tydd 2 (Evan Kemp & David Morris lost 2&1, Brian Knights & Mike Parker won 5&3, Terry Sambridge & Ken Parker lost one down, Mike Brown & Gerry Sherriff lost 3&2, Brian Gough& Steve Hart lost 3&2, Ged Taylor & David Truluck won 5&4). Birthday Bonaza Stableford: Gold Division - 1st Trevor Sewell 39pts; 2nd Evan Kemp 38pts; 3rd Baz Smith 36pts. Silver Division - 1st Dick Martin 33pts; 2nd Mike Allen 32pts; 3rd David Truluck 31pts. Bronze Division - Dave Morris 35pts; 2nd Tony Illsley 34pts; 3rd Phil Martin 29pts. Stableford trophy: Gold division - 1st Trevor Sewell 36pts; 2nd Ron Colledge 33pts; 3rd Tom Jolly 32pts. Silver division - 1st John Gamble 37pts; 2nd Thomas Brewer 34pts; 3rd David Truluck 33pts. Bronze division - 1st David Morris 32pts; 2nd Tony Illsey 29pts (ocb); 3rd John Andrews 29pts.
• Ladies’ section: Qualifying Stableford - 1st Petra Meir 41pts; 2nd Eunice Everitt 36pts; 3rd Chelsea Petty 33pts (ocb). Coronation Foursomes - 1st Maria Taylor Vassall & Petra Meir 39pts; 2nd Lorraine Gallie & Christine Burton 34pts; 3rd Trish Lacey & Sue Horspool 31pts. Medal One - 1st Nicola Stead 72; 2nd Christine Burton 74; 3rd Sue Racey 79. Medal Two - 1st Christine Kemp 67; 2nd Christina Stevenson 69; 3rd Wendy Revill 73. May Medal - 1st Christine Kemp. Texas Scramble - 1st Mary Frost, Eunice Everitt, Lorraine Gallie & Trish Lacey 56.7. 2011 Australian Spoons - 1st Petra Meir & Maria Taylor Vassall. Lincolnshire League results - Tydd 2 Belton Woods 2nd 2; Sutton Bridge 2.5 Tydd 0.5. Friendly - Sutton Bridge 3 Tydd 1.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
Results: Brabben Cup - 1st Ann Cross & Roy Fox 36pts; 2nd Margaret Fox & John Cropper 35pts; 3rd Ann Davis & Ken Burton 32pts. Ladies’ League - S Bridge 3.5 Tydd SG 0.5 (Team: Jeannette McEwan & Linda Searle, Margaret Fox & Janet Groves, Jenny Wells & Ann Cross, Ann Davis & Brenda Bell. Hudson Cup - 1st Margaret Fox 36pts; 2nd Betty Reeve 35pts; 3rd Jackie Taylor 29pts.
• Senior section: March 4.5 Obs 1.5 (Ray Page & Harold Shingleton lost 2&1; Chris Shipp & Don Robinson halved; Sid Everitt & John Cross lost 5&4; John Williamson & Norman Davis won 2&1; Peter Wailes & Noel Clare lost 4&3; Richard Titchener & Roy Fox lost 5&4).
Gedney Hill Golf Club
Men’s Section: Diamond Cup - 1st Steve Sayer 39pts (ocb); 2nd Rob Newns 39pts; 3rd Roy Britton 38pts.
• Senior section: Gedney Hill 4.5 Feltwell 1.5 (Bill Sharpe & Stuart Field won 2&1; Tom Melvin & Dave Spridgen halved; Peter Orbine & Neil Sargeant won 1up; Brian Cave & Ron Walpole lost 2&1; Tom Penning & Mick Drury won 3&1; Roy Britton & Malcolm Oliver won 3&2).
• Ladies’ section: Rigby Taylor Trophy - 1st Ann Chick 38pts (ocb); 2nd Roz Upton 38; 3rd Nicky Weller 35. May Tuesday Medal - 1st Maggie Bingham 75; 2nd Marilyn Sayer 75; 3rd Shirley Senior 78. Mark Pool Rose Bowl - 1st Ann Chick 36pts; 2nd Roz Upton 34pts; 3rd Kim Markillie 31pts.
• Mixed competitions: Jacobsons Mixed Pairs - 1st Colin Rust & Jacqui Rust 70.5 nett (ocb); 2nd Ian Weller & Nicky Weller 70.5; 3rd John Venters & Jenny Venters 75.5.