Miles Foden scored a superb 41 Stableford points to win Spalding Golf Club’s incredibly popular Burton Cup individual competition.
His round included an eagle three on the par five third hole, a birdie on the tenth and nine pars as he went on to card a great gross 77.
David Colwell (16) claimed second spot on countback from David Perrott (9) and Rob Sampson (15) after all three scored 40 points. The trio received handicap reductions for their efforts.
With the weather and course conditions improving, 23 of the 143 competitors played to par or better.
Other leading scores came from: 39 pts – Darrel Cross, Oliver Mitchell, Simon Ward; 38 pts – Adrian George, Robin Roffe, John Stewart, Calum Walker; 37pts – Kevin Siddle, Wayne Wallace, Joe Slater and Stuart Parker.
• A social match played at the tree-lined course at King’s Lynn resulted in a 4-2 defeat for Spalding.
The winning pairs for the visitors were Pete Williams and Chris Huggins (5&4) and Steve Camm and Frank Bell (2&1).
• The Spalding men’s third team achieved a very creditable 3-3 away draw in their latest social match against their counterparts at Sleaford.
Spalding’s winning pairs were Peter Southgate and Graham Chamberlain (1up), Stuart Parker & David Colwell (2&1) with the best performance coming from Keith Moore and Ray Barnett winning (5&4).
• The Spalding mixed team entertained their counterparts from King’s Lynn and won 7-2, with one game halved.
Club vice-captain Peter Bridge and playing partner Sarah Halgarth set the tone with a convincing 6&4 victory, with further wins coming from John and Barbara Newcombe (4&3), Geoff Dewhurst and Elaine Harrison (4&3), Trevor Laud and Jenny Wilson (1up), Keith Moore and Elizabeth Holbrook (2&1), Neil West and Gill Dewhurst (3&2) and Peter Williams and Jackie Bailey-Scott (2up). David McDermott and Jean White halved their game.
• Seniors’ section: Spalding’s Senior Open Day was held in aid of the Anna’s Hope charity this year – and attracted 128 entrants from 38 different clubs from Lincolnshire and beyond.
The day was won by Rod Filby and his partner Derek Mankalow (Milton) with 45 points ahead of second-placed duo Steve Leggett and John Camm with 44.
Third spot went to Howard Greaves and Shaun Gibson with 42, on countback from Tony Gray and Clive Dixon from Lincoln.
Robert Hughes, who is chairman of the Anna’s Hope Trust – and indeed is Anna’s father – came along to present the prizes.
• Spalding seniors’ recent matches have been a mixed bag. A home match against Luffenham Heath resulted in a 6-2 win at Surfleet, while an away game at Royal Cromer saw the hosts prevail 4-2.
Spalding did pick up a 4-2 away triumph at Sutton Bridge and a crushing 7.5-1.5 home success over Woodhall Spa, but were crushed 6.5-1.5 at Toft 24 hours later.
However, their most recent match at home to Burghley Park saw a convincing 7.5-0.5 victory.
• Monthly Medal: 1st Peter Jullien 73 (ocb); 2nd Vincent Ward 73; 3rd Tony White 74 (ocb); 4th Roger Davey 74.
GEDNEY HILL GOLF CLUB
• Results: Men’s section: Diamond Cup: 1st Joseph Timms 46pts; 2nd Graham Pollard 39pts; 3rd Mike Page 39pts.
• Mixed section: Jacobsens Mixed Pairs: 1st Colin & Jackie Rust 67.5net; 2nd Ian & Nicky Weller 71; 3rd Roy & Chris Bennett 75.5.