Spalding Golf Club’s top ladies’ team picked up a decisive win over their rivals from Toft at the Surfleet course.
The hosts ran out 3-1 winners, with Pat West and Di Platt (2&1), Lesley Williams and Angie Maltby (4&3) and Ruth Atkins and Paula Brown (1up) all victorious.
Elizabeth Holbrook and Angela Roper were edged out 3&2.
A few days later, Spalding sent a side to Sutton Bridge for a friendly match – and the honours ended even.
Angela Roper and Carole Holland (3&1) and Sue Watson and Debra Ward (4&3) were the winning pairs, with Sue Dewar and Deb Ellis (5&4) and Janet Earth and Beryl Skinner (3&2) beaten.
• Spalding ladies’ Summer Am/Am event was well attended, with players from a host of clubs taking part.
Competitors entered in teams of four, with prizes awarded to the top five.
Two home players – Millie Thorold and Barbara Newcombe – were on the winning team, along with partners Phyl Cook and Sue Hennigan from Peterborough Milton. They scored an impressive 90 points.
Thanks go to the volunteers, who made an excellent job of providing refreshment to the competitors
• Other Am/Am results: 2nd Patsy Clark, Julia Labatt, Pamela Hayward and Andrea Smaggersgate (Kenwick Park) 88 pts; 3rd Julia West, Yvonne Wright, Judith Flevill (Boston) and Jo Burden (Woodhall) 88pts; 4th Jean Markham, Pam Hyde, Ann Hodgson (Boston) and Kate Hall-Jones (Woodhall) 83pts; 5th Lesley Williams, Anne Ellis (Spalding), Pam Wiggins (Belton Park) and Ann Thorlby (Boston) 83pts.
• 2s competition winners (all won golf balls): Sue Hennigan, Andrea Smaggersgate, Karen Palmer, Ann Gullick, Janet Suiter, Issie Guest, Paula Brown, Mary Panton, Jackie Butler, Lorraine Gallie and Gill Leverton.
• Spalding Golf Club’s seniors’ section: The senior section’s ‘Invitation Day’ attracted a healthy 56 entrants – which ensured the day was a big success.
The winners on the day were Rod Filby and his guest Derek Mankelow, from Milton, with 47 points.
They were followed closely by John Double and his guest with 46 points.
• Results: Spalding 6 Seacroft 2; Canwick Park 6 Spalding 2; Spalding 6 Boston West 2; Spalding 6.5 Belton Park 1.5; Burghley Park 4 Spalding 4.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Results: Men’s section: South Lincolnshire Scratch League: Tydd St Giles 1st 4 Blankney 2 (Rod Drew & Link Gostic won 3&2; Tim Hines & Andy Betts lost 3&1; Ian Edrupt & John Tyler lost 4&3; Leigh Chapman & Luke Stannard won 3&1; Gavin Merrison & Adey Bills won 2&1; Kevin Goude & Tom Brooks won 2&1. Gedney Hill 3 Tydd St Giles 2nd 3 (Phil Tilney & Josh Chaplain-Barton lost 6&4; Paul Elsey & Ben Dennis lost 4&3; Grant Rider & Dean Wright lost 5&3; Keith Jakings & Garry Fitzjohn won 3&2; Dan Ball & Neil John won 1 up; Wayne Alder & Clive Barber won 5&4).
• Seniors’ section: Seniors’ annual Ryder Cup event (England v Rest of the World): Singles: England 9.5 Rest of the World 6.5; Fourballs: England 5 Rest Of The World 3; Foursomes: England 2.5 Rest Of The World 5.5. Final result: England 17 Rest of the World 15.
• Result: Sutton Bridge 1.5 Tydd St Giles 4.5 (Steve Hart & Russell Doy lost 3&2; Tony Petch & Baz Smith halved; Mike Parker & Ken Parker won 1 up; Brian Newby & Gerry Sherriff won 2&1; Dennis Savory & Paul Jackson won 2&1; Noel Bratt & Dave Morris won 4&3).
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Results: Ladies’ section: Sutton Bridge 2 Spalding Ladies 2 (Margaret Fox & Linda Searle lost 3&1; Jenny Wells & Janet Groves won 5&3; Karen Gillett & Dianne Wareham 3&2; Ann Davis & Janet Simpson lost 4&3).
• Seniors’ section: Norman Davis Niblick (second leg): Sutton Bridge1.5 Tydd St Giles 4.5 (Norman Davis & Chris Shipp won 3&2; Ray Page & Roy Fox halved; Stan Poulten & Tony Town lost 1 down; John Cross & Noel Clare lost 2&1; Charlie Waling & Mervyn Williamson lost 2&1; Roy Amos & Peter North lost 5&4. Overall Niblick score: Sutton Bridge 0 Tydd St Giles 4.
GEDNEY HILL GOLF CLUB
• Results: Monkwise Mixed Pairs: 1st Roy Bennett & Christine Lord 67; 2nd David Lord & Kim Markillie 74; 3rd Nick Markillie & Chris Bennett 76.
• Rabbits section: Gedney Hill 4.5 Kirton Holme 2.5 (Graham East & Chris Bennett won 3&2; Gary Moore & Joseph Timms halved; Bill Sharpe & Tom Penning won 2&1; Neil Sargeant & Pete Orbine won 5&4; Greg Walsh & Marilyn Sayer lost 3&2; Johnny Rust & Brian Johnson lost 6&5; Paul Hanson & Claude Augustus won 2&1).