Teen ace Calum Walker won Spalding Golf Club’s Lincolnshire Free Press trophy competition after an impressive show in the 36-hole event.
Walker scored a nett 73 in the final round, which, added to his dazzing first round score of nett 66, gave him a winning total of 139.
Starting the day with a two-shot lead, Walker won by just one stroke from Andy Grimwood (72+68=140), who came from the pack.
He had the best round of the day (nett 68) for a very fine total of 140.
Defending champion Charlie Wallace (70+71=141) put in a strong performance to claim third spot on.
Other leading scores were: 143 – James Crampton; 145 – Paul Green, Ian Ford; 147 – Simon Gray; 148 – Wayne Wallace; 149 – Phil Packard, Trevor Laud, Phil Tweddell; 150 – Oliver Mitchell.
• Junior Spalding members Archie Davies (8 handicap) and Hugo Kedzlie (5) traced their roots and travelled to Carmarthen Golf Club in Wales to compete in the Welsh boys’ under 13/15 stroke play championship.
On a very hilly course they finished 12th and 13th respectively overall after 36 holes.
But in the under-13 category, which was judged on the first 18 holes, Davies (79+75) came third with a gross 79 and Kedzlie (81+73) fifth with a gross 81.
Twelve-year-old Davies (77-8=69) also won the the Spalding Junior Club Championship title with a nett 69.
Josh Parkin (83-11=72) finished in second spot, with Calum Lewis (86-12=74) taking third place.
• The annual Captain’s versus President’s team match this year resulted in a 6-3 win for the captain’s team.
Best performances for them came from Peter Bridge and Rod Hunt (3&1), Mal Wray and Albert Jacobs (4&2) and Steve Camm and Geoff Clubley (4&3).
For the president’s team, Lawrie Haley and Stewart Sharp (6&5) and David Brotherton and Adam Keogh (3&2) both won well.
• Spalding member John Thorpe, after trying for 38 years, finally achieved every golfer’s dream, a hole-in-one.
He holed out at the 155 yard par three ninth hole at the Surfleet course with a six iron, while playing with friends.
• Seniors’ section: John Haydon Trophy: Division One: 1st R Pearson 36pts; 2nd R Wicks 35pts; 3rd M Norton 35pts. Division Two: 1st J Beba 38pts; 2nd J Atkinson 34; 3rd S Fitzjohn 33. Results: Milton 4 Spalding 4; Spalding 2 Toft Hotel 5; Spalding 4 Seacroft 4; Spalding 4 Belton Park 4; Spalding 1 Sutton Bridge 7; Thorney Lakes 5 Spalding 3.
TYDD ST GILES GOLF CLUB
• Men’s section: Supplimentary Stableford: D1: 1st Mark Gedge 40 pts; 2nd George Pawson 39 pts; 3rd Mick Vassall 36pts. D2: 1st Steve Slim 39pts; 2nd James Horscroft 35pts; 3rd Frank Retchless 34pts. D3: 1st Kevin Crowson 40pts; 2nd Steven Coray 37pts; 3rd Garry Hotson 35pts.
• Seniors’ section: Result: Thorney Lakes 5 Tydd 1 (Steve Hart & Terry Sambridge won 4&3, Dennis Savory & Baz Smith lost 1 down, Brian Newby & Paul Jackson lost 2&1, Tony Petch & Salvtore DiBella lost 4&2, Noel bratt & David Doubtfire lost 2&1, Russell Doy & Kerbad Daboo lost 2&1).
• Stableford Vouchers competition: D1: 1st Baz Smith 43pts; 2nd Kerbad Daboo 39pts; 3rd Alf Bishop 38pts; D2: 1st Del Marsh 43pts; 2nd Richard Martin 41pts; 3rd Bob Mann 36pts. D3 1st Ken Walker 37pts; 2nd Eddie Armstrong 36pts; 3rd Dave Morris 33pts. D4: 1stTony Petch 40pts (ocb); 2nd Derek Grant 40pts; 3rd Ken Sherry 37pts.
• Ladies’ section: Thursday Stableford: 1st Val Aspland 33pts; 2nd Christine Burton (ocb) 32pts; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall 32pts.Sunday Stableford: 1st Petra Meir 38pts; 2nd Maria Taylor Vassall 35pts; 3rd Sue Racey 27pts. Thursday Medal (sponsored by Franks Fish and Chips): 1st Karen Slator (ocb) 69; 2nd Jackie Maton 69 nett; 3rd Eunice Everitt 70. Sunday Medal (sponsored by Franks Fish and Chips): 1st Sue Racey 75; 2nd Karen Slator 78; 3rd Maria Taylor Vassall 80 net.Franks Fish and Chips August Medal: Overall winner: Karen Slator. Eunice Everitt Salver Competition: 1st Lorraine Gallie. Marshland Stores Trophy: Winners: Maria Taylor Vassall & Christine Burton.Rabbits Cup Competition (Matchplay Knockout): 1st Linda Daboo. 2013 Club Championship: Round One: 1st Penny Wicks (ocb) 75; 2nd Petra Meir 75; 3rd Karen Slator (ocb) 77. Round Two: 1st Soon Letchford 69; 2nd Sue Racey (ocb) 74; 3rd Jackie Maton 74. Gross winner: Lorraine Gallie. Nett winner: Sue Racey.Lincolnshire League: Division Five: 1st Spalding 2nd 5pts; 2nd Tydd 4pts; 3rd Kirton Holme 3pts. Friendly results: Spalding 3 Tydd 1; Tydd 2.5 Thorney Lakes 1.5.
SUTTON BRIDGE GOLF CLUB
• Seniors’ section: Seniors Open: 1st Tony Read & Douglas Eakins 47 pts; 2nd Charlie Claxton & Ray Page 45 pts; 3rd Sid Everitt & George Tipping 44pts (ocb); 4th Barrie Croxford & Dave Wing 44 pts.
• Ladies’ section: Ladies Cup: 1st. Judy Green 32 pts; 2nd Karen Gillett 28 pts (ocb); 3rd Jen Baines 28 pts. Lady Captain’s Away Day (at Thorpe Wood): 1st Jenny Wells 32pts (ocb); 2nd Ann Cross 32pts; 3rd Betty Reeve 28pts. Nearest to pin (14th): Ann Cross.
• Mixed Foursomes: 1st Norman Davis & Margaret Fox 29pts (ocb); 2nd Roy Fox & Judy Green 29 pts (ocb); 3rd Steen Catlow & Jen Baines 29pts.