GOLF: Dominant duo end season with super Somers success
Lloyd Chatham and Jackie Bailey-Scott took the spoils in Spalding Golf Club’s final summer knockout competition of the season.
The pairing of Chatham (3 handicap) and Jackie Bailey-Scott (31) beat Robert (6) and Matilde Kedzlie (18) 7&6 to lift the Somers mixed greensome matchplay final at Surfleet.
Played in appalling weather conditions, Robert Kedzlie and his 12-year-old daughter Matilde were 1up after winning the second hole. But their joy was was short-lived, with Chatham and Bailey-Scott hitting back to be all square after four holes.
After halving the fifth, Chatham and Bailey-Scott adapted to the poor conditions better than their opposition and won the next seven holes on the trot, which included five pars, to close the match out on the 12th.
The losing semi-finalists were Gary Palmer and Tracy Siddle and Ray and Elaine Harrison.
• Some cracking scores were posted as 90 players contested the Turkey Trot Stableford competition, with David Coley (44pts) running out the winner.
• Other scores: 43pts – Harry Hunt; 42pts – Chris Flynn; 41pts – John Reynolds, Phil Wakefield; 40pts – Craig McLean, Greg Bayliss, Adam Davey; 39pts – Calum Walker, Dave Perrott, Bob Radcliffe, Trevor Overson, Graham Rudkin, Keith Hearne, Richard Woods, Hugo Kedzlie, Sean Stewart, Chris Brooks, Dave Colwell and Peter Southgate
• The men’s winter league programme in now up and running with almost 60 pairs trying to be in the top 16 who will then proceed to the knock-out stage in March next year.
Tydd St Giles Golf Club
John Tilley earned a narrow Division One success in Tydd’s November Stableford.
His score of 39 points was one better than Gino Ciuffini and Wayne Alder in the men’s section. Andy Ward and Duncan Connaber took the spoils in Division Two and Three respectively.
• Results: Division One: 1st John Tilley 39pts; 2nd Gino Ciuffini 38pts (ocb); 3rd Wayne Alder 38pts. Division Two: Andy Ward 37pts; 2nd Lee Smith 36pts; 3rd Terry Pease 36pts. Division Three: 1st Duncan Connabeer 40pts; 2nd Rick Wilson 39pts; 3rd John Gamble 36pts.
• Seniors’ section: Monthly medal: Division One – 1st Mike Parker 84-12=72; 2nd Ken Parker 86-12=74 (ocb); 3rd Alf Bishop 90-16=74. Division Two – 1st Richard Martin 86-20=66; 2nd John Ormiston 87-19=68; 3rd Trevor Sewell 88-17=71. Division Three – 1st David Truluck 93-21=72; 2nd Lee Newman 100-23=77; 3rd Anthony Petch 102-24=78. Division Four – 1st Derek Grant 104-28=76; 2nd Tony Illsey 108-27=81; 3rd Geoff Chappell 110-28=82.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club
At the end of her year as ladies’ captain at Sutton Bridge Golf Club, outgoing skipper Carole Whitelam had raised the grand total of £1,200 for the Multiple Sclerosis Society – her chosen charity for the year.
Carole presented the cheque to the chairmen of the Boston and South Holland branch of the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Ian Cox and Kevin O’Neill Williamson.
• The ladies of Sutton Bridge held their annual end of season match, with teams representing both the captain and vice captain competing against each other. The result was a 4-1 win for the vice captain’s side.
The AGM was held afterwards, with retiring captain Carole Whitelam handed over the reins to incoming skipper Margaret Fox.
The new vice captain for the coming year is Linda Searle.
• Mixed section: October Mixed Foursomes – 1st Roy Fox and Ann Davis 29 pts; 2nd Norman Davis and Janet Groves 28pts; 3rd John Groves and Margaret Fox 22pts.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Spalding
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 32 mph
Wind direction: North east