Young Tigers suffer another mauling

Jordan Keeble pressurizes a Wisbech Town defender at Carter's Park.
Jordan Keeble pressurizes a Wisbech Town defender at Carter's Park.

Wisbech deservedly took the points as last year’s champions Holbeach struggled to cope with the absence of several players.

With the likes of Ashley Murrell, Matty Wharfield, Andy Law, Luke Hollingworth all injured and Tommy Treacher on honeymoon, it was not to be a happy ending to the season for Glen Maddison’s side.

It wasn’t the way Holbeach would have wanted to bring their campaign to an end but they will still achieve their goal of a top ten finish as long as Desborough fail to win at Wellingborough on Saturday.

Given that only skipper Warfield and goalkeeper Leigh Overton remain from last year’s successful squad, Maddison has done a fine job in his first year in charge at Carters Park.

He admitted Wisbech were just too strong for his young side on Monday, saying: “We had a few missing and it told.

“We put out another young side while Leigh (Overton) is right-footed but had to kick with his left foot all game because of the thigh injury he picked up at Deeping on Saturday.

“Fair play to Leigh for helping us out and getting through the game though because a lot of players wouldn’t have played.

“He has played every minute of every game so he wanted to play and he did well.

“We gifted them their first two goals, which was frustrating, but Wisbech were the better team so I can’t complain about the result.”

The Tigers, who had won 2-0 at Wisbech nine days earlier, fell behind after 13 minutes when Chris Shipley’s clearance took a ricochet and went into the net with Adam Millson claiming the goal.

Shipley and Tom Sergeant then got in a pickle on the stroke of half-time, allowing veteran former Lincoln striker Tony Battersby to double the advantage.

Billy Smith, who had a hand in Wisbech’s opener, then produced a fine finish from outside the box to make it 3-0 on 69 minutes, although Overton may well have saved it had it not been for his leg injury.

Millson completed Holbeach’s misery 13 minutes from time after a corner was driven low and hard into the Tigers’ goalmouth.

Maddison added: “It has been a solid season and hopefully we will be able to make some signings and be able to progress next season.”

Holbeach: Overton, Delahoy, Mattless, Leggett, Shipley, Bishop (Keeble), Bayliss (Sevilha), Reed, Waumsley, Dunn, Sargeant (Elliott).