Stunning comeback boosts Holbeach United’s bid

Stacy Cartwright heads away for Holbeach at Yaxley on Tuesday night. Photo: David Lowndes
Stacy Cartwright heads away for Holbeach at Yaxley on Tuesday night. Photo: David Lowndes
  • Five-goal derby rout for Bourne but another knockout blow to Deeping

Holbeach United boosted their bid for the title with a spectacular comeback win.

The Tigers overturned a 2-0 half-time score with four goals after the break at Yaxley on Tuesday night.

Yaxley enjoyed first-half ascendancy and took the lead just five minutes in through Dan Cotton.

He doubled the lead after 29 minutes, beating Tigers keeper Ricky Drury at his near post for his 15th goal of the campaign.

The fightback started after 47 minutes as Jordan Thomas smashed home a loose ball in the box.

Two minutes later Stacy Cartwright equalised for the Tigers.

The visitors went ahead after 65 minutes with Ollie Pinner’s driving run setting up Thomas for his second goal of the night.

Drury denied Cotton as Yaxley fought back.

The outcome was settled three minutes into added time when Tommy Treacher was brought down in the penalty area by Ricky Hailstone with Andrew Tidswell converting from the spot.

Victory moves Holbeach up to fifth in the table with games in hand over all their rivals to close the gap again.

The Tigers – unbeaten in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division since the opening day – travel to Eynesbury Rovers on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Deeping Rangers made a third cup exit in 11 days as they lost 3-2 at Desborough Town in the UCL Knockout Cup.

Jake Bettles put Ar Tarn in front after 23 minutes but they were pegged back by Scott Couplan’s reply in the final minute of the first half.

Desborough quickly regained the lead on resumption, Mark Redding the 48th-minute marksman.

Dodzi Agbenu extended the home advantage three minutes past the hour mark.

The breathing space was needed as Luke Hunnings scored a second for Rangers after 74 minutes.

Deeping return to league action on Saturday at home to Cogenhoe United.

Bourne Town handed out a lesson in finishing to move into the top six of Division One with a 5-0 victory over Oakham United.

Oakham had plenty of possession but lacked a cutting edge, not a problem faced by the Wakes.

Henry Dunn put Bourne ahead four minutes in and after a spell of visiting pressure Sam Wilson doubled the advantage after 21 minutes.

Oakham again pressed at the start of the second half but Zak Munton’s effort from distance brought the third goal after 55 minutes.

With eight minutes to go Dan Smith headed a fourth for the Wakes and the scoring was completed a minute later as Dunn ran clear of the defence to fire home.

Bourne are back home on Saturday against Potton United.



Knockout Cup preliminary round: Desborough 3 Deeping 2 (Desborough at home to Cogenhoe), Wellingborough 2 Long Buckby 0 (Wellingborough at home to Sileby).

Premier Division: Eynesbury 0 Peterborough Northern Star 1, Sileby 3 Leicester Nirvana 4, Wisbech 0 Huntingdon 1, Yaxley 2 Holbeach 4.

Division One: Bourne 5 Oakham 0, Buckingham 0 Woodford 1, Irchester 3 Burton Park Wanderers 2, Thrapston 3 Whitworth 0.