Mixed emotions for Deeping boss

Matt Heron puts Deeping 3-2 ahead
Matt Heron puts Deeping 3-2 ahead
Have your say

Deeping Rangers boss Tuncay Korkmaz felt a mixture of pride and disappointment after narrowly missing out on end-of-season silverware.

They were beaten 5-4 by Huntingdon Town after 
extra-time in Monday’s UCL Knockout Cup final at Yaxley – despite leading 2-0 and 3-2 as well as hitting the woodwork three times.

Korkmaz reflected: “It was a cracking game for the 
neutral but not for the light-hearted as a manager!

“We were glad to take part in the final. It’s just a shame that we couldn’t win it at the end of a good season.

“Once the disappointment settles down we will realise how well we played against a very good side.

“I can only be proud of my lads who gave their best and came up just a bit short.

“There wasn’t a huge gap between the teams, although they have beaten us three times this season.

“Ben Seymour-Shove made a great impact for Huntingdon and he looks to be a young talent with a great 
future ahead of him.”

Substitute Gary King – who was also forced off through 
injury – put Rangers 2-0 up with goals on 23 and 26 
minutes while Matt Heron and Mitch Griffiths both hit the woodwork.

Huntingdon were back on level terms midway through the second half but Deeping regained the lead within a minute through Heron, only for keeper James Doughty’s unfortunate own-goal to bring extra-time.

Declan Rogers converted 
a penalty before Deeping 
finished the first period of 
extra-time strongly with 
Heron heading the equaliser.

The vital goal arrived with two minutes left but Deeping almost took the tie into a shoot-out in added time when Scott Ginty’s low shot crashed against the foot of the post.

Along with injuries to 
Ciaran Holt and King, it was 
also revealed that Griffiths suffered a suspected broken 
leg after completing 120 

Deeping: Doughty, Flack, Parker, Tinkler, Ashton, 
Burton-Jones, Griffiths, Ginty, Graham (sub Oliver), Heron, Holt (sub King, sub Beck).