UCL Premier Division leaders Spalding United smashed third-placed Cogenhoe United 5-2 on Saturday, while Holbeach United drew 1-1 with Peterborough Northern Star at Carter’s Park and Deeping Rangers hammered Oadby Town 5-1 to reach the UCL Knockout Cup semi-final.
Starting with the Tulips, goals from Dan Cotton (3 and 79). Lewis Webb (42 and 48) and Sam Mullarkey (45) gave the table-toppers their most impressive away win of the season so far.
Pat Rayment’s side remain 13 points clear of second-placed Rushden and Diamonds, who won 1-0 against Boston Town. It’s now 22 wins from 23 games for the title hopefuls, with a Lincs FA Senior Trophy quarter-final at Stamford next up on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Staying in the UCL Premier Division, a stunner from Northern Star ace Billy Smith denied Holbeach victory in what was their first match since December 21.
In what was a largely even Carter’s Park clash, chances were few on far between on a very tough surface. There was one major flashpoint in the first half, with Tommy Treacher given a yellow card for diving after seemingly being brought down in the box.
The decision incensed the hosts, who were adamant that they should have had a penalty kick.
It was that man Treacher who eventually broke the deadlock, though. The Holbeach favourite deceived Nick Conroy with a cross-come-shot that bobbled past the former Tigers’ number one on the hour.
Adam Rothery headed wide from a Lewis Sturman cross as the hosts tried to put the game to bed, but wing wizard Smith rifled a scorching 22-yard effort in off the bar 15 minutes from time to secure Star a deserved share of the spoils.
The point keeps Holbeach ninth – a point clear of their Peterborough rivals.
Meanwhile, Deeping booked their place in the last four of the UCL Knockout Cup with an impressive victory over UCL Division One leaders Oadby.
Having fallen behind to Courtney Meade’s 30th-minute opener, Rangers launched a stunning second-half comeback to keep their dream of lifting the trophy for the very first time alive.
Alex Beck levelled on 59 minutes, before Simon Ashton (71), Scott Bogusz (74), Spencer Tinkler (pen 79) and Kevin Gilbert (83) fired Tuncay Korkmaz’s men to glory.
Elsewhere, managerless Bourne Town’s UCL Division One trip to Wellingborough Whitworth was one of a few games to be postponed due to the continued bad weather.
In the ChromaSport Peterborough League, there were contrasting PFA Senior Cup fortunes for Pinchbeck United and Long Sutton Athletic.
Pinchbeck progressed with a fine 3-1 win at Langtoft United, but Sutton are out after a 2-1 home beating against Sawtry.
There was also cup woe for Moulton Harrox, as the holders went out of the Lincs Junior Cup 4-2 after extra time at College Wanderers.
More football in Tuesday’s Lincolnshire Free Press.
• UCL Premier Division: AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1 Boston Town 0; Cogenhoe United 2 Spalding United 5; Desborough Town 3 Wisbech Town 0; Holbeach United 1 Peterborough Northern Star 1; Long Buckby 1 Wellingborough Town 1; Sleaford Town 3 Stewarts & Lloyds Corby 0; Yaxley 0 Sileby Rangers 2.
• UCL KO Cup: Round Two: Woodford United 1 Potton United 3. Quarter-final: Deeping Rangers 5 Oadby Town 1.
• UCL Division One: Blackstones 2 Harrowby United 4; Bugbrooke St Michaels 1 Thrapston Town 2; Rothwell Corinthians 2 Olney Town 2; Rushden & Higham United 2 Raunds Town 0.
• ChromaSport Peterborough & District League: Premier Division: Stilton United 3 Crowland Town 1.
Division One: Sutton Bridge United 3 Holbeach United Reserves 5.
Division Two: Crowland Town Res 4 Guyhirn 3; Gedney Hill 5 Oakham United Res 4; Peterborough Rovers 1 Langtoft United Reserves 2.
Division Three: Farcet United Res 0 Riverside Res 9; Netherton United A 7 Stilton United Res 0; Parkway 2 Kings Cliffe Reserves 4.
Division Four: Peterborough Sports A 3 Stamford Belvedere Reserves 1; Warboys Town Reserves 1 Tydd St Mary 5.
• PFA Senior Cup: Langtoft United 1 Pinchbeck United 3; Leverington Sports 2 Ramsey Town 2; Long Sutton Athletic 1 Sawtry 2; Netherton United 3 Oakham United 1.
• PFA Challenge Cup: AFC Stanground 7 Farcet United 0; Baston 3 Peterborough Sports Res 0; Ryhall United 2 Pinchbeck United Res 0; Stamford Belvedere 3 Leverington Sports Res 0.
• PFA Junior Cup: Glinton United 4 Ryhall United Res 1; Parkside 3 Long Sutton Athletic Res 2; Spalding Town 6 Ramsey Town Res 0; Uppingham Town Res 2 Wittering 4.
• PFA Minor Cup: Hampton Sport 4 Bretton North End 3; Oundle Town Res 6 Thorpe Wood Rangers 0; Parkside Athletic Res 3 Huntingdon Sun 9; Peterborough ICA Sports B 4 Whaplode Drove 1; Rutland DR 1 Pinchbeck United A 2; Tydd St Mary Res 0 Powerleague FC 8.
• Boston & District League: Premier Division: Spilsby Town 2 Benington 3; Wyberton 6 Kirton Town 0.
Division One: Fosdyke 0 Ruskington Rovers 0; Sutterton 2 Skegness Utd Res 2; Woodhall Spa Utd 3 Rippingale & Folkingham 1.
Division Two: Friskney 1 Westside Rangers 4; Leverton 2 Swineshead Res 1; Mareham Res 2 Heckington Millers 1; Spalding Harriers 2 Holbeach Bank 1.
Division Three: AFC Tetford 6 Sutterton Res 2; Benington Res 0 Park Utd 3; Boston College 3 FC Kirton 3; FC Hammers 1 Pointon A 0; Holbeach Bank Res 3 Spalding Harriers Res 2; Rippingale & Folkingham Res 0 Swineshead A 3.
• Main Ridge Take Away Reserve Cup: Semi-finals: Fishtoft Res 2 Freiston Res 4; Kirton Town Res 2 Wyberton Res 4.
• Lincs Junior Cup: Quarter finals: Barrowby 0 Swineshead Institute 1; College Wanderers 4 Moulton Harrox 2 (AET).