FOOTBALL: ‘Light’ at the end of the tunnel for rivals

HOLBEACH United and Bourne Town will attempt to complete their Lincs FA Senior Trophy semi-final for a THIRD time tonight.

A second floodlight failure in three weeks at Bourne’s Abbey Lawn saw last Wednesday’s tie abandoned after just six minutes, with the score 0-0.

Having made two wasted trips down the A151, Holbeach will now host the last four clash at Carter’s Park (7.45pm), with the winners to meet Barton Town Old Boys in the Sincil Bank final.

Tigers boss John Chand, who pushed for the clash to be switched, is glad that common sense has prevailed.

He said: “There’s no blame attached to Bourne Town at all, but I think they’ll feel pretty embarrassed by it all.

“We just want to get the game played to a conclusion, so it’s common sense to move it to our place.

“Credit to Bourne, this must have cost them a bit of money, but they’ve been very accommodating in getting the match moved – which was at our request.”

So far, the United Counties League duo have played just over 40 minutes on two separate occasions, with neither side managing a goal.

The tie is the biggest game for Bourne since they were demoted from the UCL Premier Division before the start of last season.

Although the Abbey Lawn has historically hosted midweek games without any problems, the club have only completed one competitive night game under lights this season.

Bourne club secretary Bob Lambert has moved to play down fears of long-term problems and is adamant that no other Saturday or midweek fixtures will be affected.

He said: “We think it’s light enough now to get through Saturday games but will have an electrician to monitor the lights for power surges.

“We think we have sussed the fault out.”

Bourne player/manager Darren Munton added: “It’s getting embarrassing and we have offered to play it there. We want to get it out of the way.

“We were told the problem had been sorted but we are overloading the system somewhere.”